cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
josixbee
New Contributor

Cable for E1 Network Module on Atlas550 connecting to Cisco router VWIC2 (E1 MFT )

I would like to use the Atlas550 with E1 Network Module (X 2) and dual T1/PRI module as a PSTN Switch for a Cisco Voice lab.  The T1 module came with a straight-thru RJ45 to RJ45 cable. However, missing are the cables for the E1 module which has a female DB15 connector.  The Cisco VWIC MFT ports use  RJ45.

I can see cables suppliers with the Cisco part numbers:

CAB-E1-RJ45DB15   (Cisco RJ45 to DB15 Male 10ft E1 Cable 72-1336-01)

CAB-E1-RJ45DB15N  (Cisco RJ45 to DB15 Male Null 10ft Cable 72-1337-01)

Does 1 of these actually would suit my purpose or can someone point me to the correct cable?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cable for E1 Network Module on Atlas550 connecting to Cisco router VWIC2 (E1 MFT )

Hello, and thank you for posting your question on the ADTRAN Support Forums.

Offhand, I believe the CAB-E1-RJ45DB15N would be the correct Cisco cable to connect from the ATLAS to the Cisco. The ATLAS only has E1/T1 interfaces, and does not have a DSX-1 interface. So connecting E1 to E1 will require a cross-over cable.

ADTRAN does have DB15(male) to RJ45(female) adapters we can send to you. This will allow you to use either a straight-through cable or cross-over cable depending on what you are connecting it to. This will allow more versatility at a cheaper cost. If you would like us to send you a couple of these adapters you can email support@adtran.com and give us your shipping information. (We also require a serial number when opening a ticket.)

Hope this helps,
Patrick

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Cable for E1 Network Module on Atlas550 connecting to Cisco router VWIC2 (E1 MFT )

We use a straight RJ45 cable and a field-programmable "hood" for DB15 T1/E1 connections (and a similar DB9 one for Adtran RS232 console to Cisco RJ45 console).  Something like one of these:

Modular Adapter | Beige | DB15 Male to RJ45 Female

RJ45 Modular Adapters, Couplers, Screws

Straight:

RJ45     DB15

1                3

2               11

4                 1

5                 9

Cross:

RJ45     DB15

1               1

2               9

4               3

5              11

Cut off the unused wires in the hood.

Graybar has them too if you're near a Graybar.  Their part number ATDB15M8.

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

On the other hand, free is always good so take Patrick up on his offer! 

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Also beware that T1 and E1 aren't the same logically even though they may have similar physical connectors. E1 is the European standard, 2.048 mbits, 32 x 64k channels.  T1 is North American, 1.544 mbits, 24 x 64k channels.  If the Adtran card is E1 only and the Cisco module can be configured for T1 or E1 you should be OK.  If Adtran is E1 only and the Cisco is T1 only they won't sync up.

Patrick,

Thanks!  I had sent email to support@adtran.com with S/N and shipping information to follow on.

Please keep up the good work!

Jose.

Jay,

Thanks for the very useful info/tips!

Jose