Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bbiandov
New Contributor

Clarification on BSC firmware upgrade

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification on BSC firmware upgrade:

Is it possible to upgrade BSC-2100 currently running V5.3.1.11 to the latest V6_5_1_03.img?

Firmware 6.5.1.03 appears to be the latest download available but it gets fuzzy on the hardware platform which is supported.

Thank you

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Clarification on BSC firmware upgrade

In order to upgrade the BSC platform from 5.3.1.11 to 6.5.1.03, an intermediate step of upgrading to 5.3.2.6 first is required. So the BSC should be upgraded from 5.3.1.11 to 5.3.2.6 then finally to 6.5.1.03.

Here is an excert from the release notes (http://www.adtran.com/web/SoftwareDownload/1880/sw/relNotes/4945) for BSC version 6.5.1.03.

Bluesocket™ BlueSecure™ Controller Release Notes

Software Version: V6.5.1.03

BSC Models Covered: BSC-600™, BSC-1200™, BSC-2100™, BSC-2200™, BSC-3200™, BSC-5200™

The BSC-2100 model is covered, and therefor you can upgrade. I would recommend that read through the release notes so you will be aware of any changes. You will also be able to determine if an upgrade is needed - ie. if you need any of the fixes. The BSC upgrade procedure is fairly straightforward, but if you have not been through the process already, please continue reading.

When upgrading the BSC platform it is important to understand the process. There are two partitions on the BSC: primary and alternative. The upgrade process actually upgrades the alternative partition, then the unit is signaled to reboot and switch partitions. In other words, the upgrade process has a built-in backup feature. If for some reason the upgrade process fails, you can simply change back to the other partition. The following support question will be useful in the event the upgrade fails ().

While the upgrade process does have this built-in backup feature, it is still a good idea to save a backup of the current settings. You can start the upgrade process by going to Maintenance> Configuration Backup/Restore. Backup the current settings, and save the file to your computer. Next go to Maintenance> Upgrade, choose your file, and clikc upgrade. Follow the prompts/messages to reboot the unit when the time comes. That should be all you need.

Bluesocket Controller (BSC) Setup and Administration Guide

https://supportforums.adtran.com/docs/DOC-1761

Thanks for that detailed clarification Charlie,

Yes the process is straightforward; done it several times and I love the partition selection switch. Great way to revert back to a known good firmware.

One question; hope not too trivial: if an upgrade does get botched; and then the BSC would quit booting at all; how does one switch to the alternative partition using the front panel of the BSC? Or if there is no button combination to switch partition is this achievable from a physical console cable using the BSC's serial port?

Thanks

~B

Anonymous
Not applicable

Take a look at the support question I linked to in the above reply; it should answer you question exactly. Essentially, if the upgrade fails, then you can perform a serial port boot interrupt to manually switch to the alternate partition when there is no access to the secure web based administrative console or the serial port console menu.

Also, I need to clarify that if you upgrade from 5.3.11 to 6.5.1.03 you will first need to upgrade from 5.3.11 to 5.3.2.6. I am going to edit the above the answer to include this information. You can find 5.3.2.6 on our website as well.

First excuse the previous embarrassing question: you preemptively answered the issue with choosing a partition from the bootloader menu and I completely missed that. My bad!

Also thank you for specifying the intermediate upgrade path required to achieve 6.5.1.03; the download page does contain that intermediate version 5.3.2.6.

My only follow up question addresses the release notes for 6.5.1.03 which I did read back to back; I have A and B questions relating to two sections of the release notes which I would like to clarify:

a) "Bluesocket 1500, 1540, 1700, and WiJack APs should be running firmware V6.5.0.7" -- does this mean that once BSC is running 6.5.1.03 the BSAPs firmware can or can not be upgraded or is it a recommendation that it is suggested they are upgraded? I am trying to avoid catch 22 since BSAP firmware can not be upgraded to 6.5 if BSC is still on 5.x (well it can be upgraded but then the BSAP keeps rebooting the moment if attempts to register with 5.x BSC).

b) On page 18 one would find: "Guideline: The safest upgrade path is to go to 5.3.2.6 first, and then 6.2 and then 6.5.1. See the support page for more information." -- since you specified a different upgrade path and since 6.2 is not found in the firmware download section should it be understood that your upgrade path supersedes the above statement on page 18 of the release note for 6.5.1.03?

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

Once you upgrade the BSC to v6.5.1.03, you will want to make sure that any BSAP 15xx, 1700, and WiJack APs are running 6.5.0.7. This does not apply to BSAP 18xx series products. The BSAPs can still be upgraded after the BSC is upgraded, so upgrade the BSC first, upload the BSAP firmware, and apply the firmware to the APs.

You do not need to worry about BSC v6.2. That issue has been resolved.

Hi Charlie

Thank you for your great feedback! Release 6 is asking for Regulatory Activation Code. The release notes for version 6 point to URL at blue socket which is no longer working for obtaining the code:

The Bluesocket Sales team has mapped customers to their country of operation. Each customer has

been issued a country authorization code, which is found in the Salesforce.com account. Go to

http://support.bluesocket.com/my-profile.htm and find the 8 digit code listed under “Country Authentication

Code.”

Where does one obtain that code from today? A found a post which states that one must contact support for the country authentication code but on a prior case RQST00001514618 I was told support can no longer help:

https://supportforums.adtran.com/docs/DOC-5692

This challenge would effectively preclude one from carrying out a successful upgrade from 5 to 6. I tried to add the serial number under "My Products" under my Adtran Support but it was not recognized as valid.

Please let me know if you can assist with that Regulatory Activation Code issue - the BSC is in the U.S. so I would like to obtain a Regulatory Activation Code for US region.

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

An Adtran Technical Support Engineer can certainly assist you obtaining that code, but your previous case indicates that your product is End-of-Life/Support. That would explain why you did not receive an answer. Please allow me to respond in kind from the ticket you logged with our technical support center. If you do not receive the email, feel free to respond here or send me a private message on the support community.

You are a life saver. I got the e-mail; thank you. Will be testing shortly.

Update 4/17/2013: The code does work and that effectively enables the successful upgrade to release 6. Thank you again very much!

I noticed that there are several patches under release 6.5.1.03 available for download:

Bluesocket BSC-2200/3200/5200 Bluepatch 1

Bluesocket BSC-2200/3200/5200 BlueProtect Pre Install Patch 3

Bluesocket BSC-2200/3200/5200 BlueProtect Add On Patch 3

Bluesocket BSC-2200/3200/5200 BlueProtect Add On Patch 4

Which ones do you recomment one installs on a BSC running release 6.5.1.03?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bluepatch 1 is basically required.

The Blueprotect patches are for the Blueprotect service which is not included by default in the BSC. Blueprotect is an additionally licensed feature. If you use Blueprotect, then you will want the add-on patch. You only need to install the latest BlueProtect Add On patch, and the Pre Install patch is only needed if you cannot install the Add On patch.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily as well as award points to the users that helped you.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.

Yep all good here; few months now running with no detectable problems

B

joejoe
New Contributor

I have a problem  about upgrade BSC-2100 currently running V5.3.1.11 to V5.3.2.6

Upgrade status: Database upgrade failed.

upgrade log..

Checking Drive Integrity
umount: /alternative: device is busy
mount: you must specify the filesystem type
Done Checking Drive Integrity

Cleaning up old system map
Updating system map
System map updated
Backing up configuration
--------
Adding version info...
--------
product=BSC-2100
version=V5.3.1.11
database=104
date=Tue Jan 16 15:44:50 EST 2007
--------
Adding database...
--------
Schema...
Data...
Report Schema...
Report Data...
System Schema...
System Data...
Copying DHCP info...
--------
Copying customization...
/bin/mkdir: cannot create directory `/alternative/home/blueserver/htdocs/app/local': Input/output error
/bin/chown: getting attributes of `/alternative/home/blueserver/htdocs/app/local': No such file or directory
--------
Copying specials setup...
--------
Copying ICS configuration...
--------
Upgrading database...
Starting secondary db server
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
140217 03:59:41  mysqld ended

Waiting for secondary db server...
Failed to connect to secondary db server!
[Mon Feb 17 03:59:45 2014] chroot_upgrade.pl: DBI connect('database=blueserver;port=12345','blueserver',...) failed: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) at /home/blueserver/htdocs/app/database/chroot_upgrade.pl line 57
Database upgrade failed.

joejoe‌ I would defer to Adtran to confirm this but it sounds like you may have bad flash... OR your partition is absolutely full at 100%. Either way I don't know how to get out of this situation other than completely reformat and re-install the software from scratch.