cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Greatly improved real-time reporting for clients, APs, radios, etc.

Even 2.4 is rather lacking in any real-time visibility compared to competing products.  You still can't see much.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
briangonyer
Contributor II
Contributor II

Re: Greatly improved real-time reporting for clients, APs, radios, etc.

You mean things like host name of the connecting device and real-time bandwidth usage of clients as seen in V2.1.0.14?

0 Kudos
dpeterson
New Contributor III

And the long term reporting is seriously lacking too.  I was going to upgrade a customer to 2.4, but it appears the virtually non-existent long term reporting they had under 2.3 is even worse now, a feat I didn't think possible. They used to be able to pull a report that at least showed usage stats every quarter hour around the clock, (and they wanted to see usage reports at each location throughout the day) and as horribly formatted as that was, there appears to not even be that in 2.4.  I was going to upgrade them but I can't. So sad.  Waiting for 2.5.....

0 Kudos
kennethfernandes
Contributor II
Contributor II

I believe the Blue Secure Controllers (BSC) would show the hostname of a client as they were an inline device providing DHCP but I do not believe the vWLAN distributed solution ever provided the hostname of a client. We are however working on adding this functionality in to vWLAN as part of device fingerprinting functionality. Unfortunately I cannot comment on when via the community but please check with your sales representative.

0 Kudos
kennethfernandes
Contributor II
Contributor II

There have been many long term, over time, or historical reports added to the dashboard in 2.4. They are available in both visual formats (graphs and charts) and csv. Some examples include Client Count, Client Usage, Top APs by Client Count, Top APs by Client Usage, Top Clients by Usage, Top Locations, Top Roles, etc. These historical reports can be filtered by last 30 days, last 7 days, custom, etc. Also any data that you could get at in csv format in the reporting section of 2.3 is still available in 2.4. For example under status logs or w-ids alerts, etc. You can use the search field to filter than simply download in csv format.

Please let us know if there is a specific Real Time or Historical Report you would like to see added to the dashboard and we will take that into consideration for a subsequent release?

0 Kudos
dpeterson
New Contributor III

I've looked and looked and am not seeing it.  Something that can give me, preferably by location, but at least by AP, how many clients throughout the day, preferably graphed, with at least one hour resolution.  Also, need to be able to go back way more than thirty days.  A customer tried to pull a report from last June - no data.

0 Kudos
stevegcc
New Contributor

You should be able to drill down to the device level (from the status page or any other place a current device appears)  to see what that device is using for bandwidth at that point in time.   I think that the current vWLAN software is lacking in this regard.  It shows you usage in a very laggy way but that tells you very little about what is happening in shorter time spans throughout the day. A nice dashboard item would show you the top 5 or 10 devices in terms of bandwidth being used at the time the webpage refreshes itself.

0 Kudos
skliffi
New Contributor III

Why signal ratio, errors, TX rate and reassocs for exactly client and noise level, channel utilization and non-802.11 interference for AP are not available in 2.3-2.5 vWLAN versions?

It was possible to see client detailed information in vWLAN 2.1 in Status->Detailes->APs status, and now we are really experience lack of that information in daily work. Almost Ubiquiti and Mikrotik for $60 has such data available.

Please, give it back to us!

0 Kudos
dpeterson
New Contributor III

Amen!  Just last week my very first customer, still on 2.1, asked about upgrading to be able to take advantage of newer AP firmware to take care of some stability issues they thought might be the fault of the older software and firmware.  I told them no way, stay right where you are.  I'm still waiting for real long term reporting to be brought back.  The "long term" on the dashboard has no granularity to show usage over the course of each day, and is still only thirty days. 

0 Kudos
kennethfernandes
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the great feedback. Showing the hostname, signal, and tx rate of clients are features that are in process. With that said I'm going to mark this thread as in process since those are underway.  There are some other feature requests throughout this thread that I would ask could be opened as new threads so they could be tracked and voted on appropriately.

Note the dashboard allows you to enter a custom date/timeframe so that you can zoom in on a specific timeframe you are interested in. Also note the dashboard can go back 2 months maximum. If you need to archive dashboard data beyond 2 months you can setup recurring emails in multiple formats for example PDF or CSV.

0 Kudos
kennethfernandes
Contributor II
Contributor II

Our 2.9 software beta program has just kicked off with lots of exciting reporting/statistics enhancements such as the following and much much more. Let me know if you may be interested in the beta program.

• Enhanced DynamicRF Statistics
    • Number of co-channel/adjacent channel interferers per channel per radio with drill down, noise floor, channel utilization. 
  • Enhanced Client/AP Statistics

• Signal strength, transmit rate, noise, channel utilization, AP/vWLAN uptime, SSID MAC address (BSSID), Number of Co-channel/Adjacent Channel Interferers with drill down per radio.
    • New framework for client statistics under status>clients list with 5 minute polling interval and status>APs list with 1 minute polling interval for AP statistics vs previous 15 minute polling intervals.
    • New framework for real time client/AP statistics under status>clients details (drill down on specific client) or status>AP details (drill down on specific AP). Real time with each refresh.
  • Dashboard Reports and Analytics Enhancements (Widgets)

• System Summary Widget
      • New platform widget provides platform information such as CPU, Disk, Memory Utilization, Uptime, Part/Serial Numbers, Software/Patch versions, High Availability Status and Whether or not platform is called home to ADTRAN Tech Support.
    • Unique client count added to Client Count Over Time Widget
0 Kudos
dpeterson
New Contributor III

Sure.

0 Kudos
kennethfernandes
Contributor II
Contributor II

Can you email me your contact info to kfernandes@adtran.com (name, title, company, email, phone), if you will be running on a live network or in the lab, what model APs and how many of each, approximately how many users will be on the beta system and I'll reply with an invite to the program along with links to download release notes and software/firmware.

THANKS

Ken

0 Kudos
briangonyer
Contributor II
Contributor II

Kenneth, I would like to test please.

Brian Gonyer

Network Systems Administrator

Blinn College

Brian.gonyer@blinn.edu<mailto:Brian.gonyer@blinn.edu>

979-830-4055

I will be running in a lab environment, with various model aps.

0 Kudos
kennethfernandes
Contributor II
Contributor II

Sent invite via email. Thanks.

0 Kudos