cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevinmessick
New Contributor

Needing help with my wireless connections between clients with Adtran vWLAN and switches.

I'm at a loss for what the problem is throughout my four district locations. We've always had issues with our wireless clients connecting to wireless printers. I consistently get work tickets from teachers that their printers are offline and magically its back online when we check the device. We've recently bought 115 new DELL E525w laserjet printers and are running into issues finding the devices during setup and maintaining connections. When I ping from a laptop to the wireless printer it will timeout and then it gives a response several times then it times out again. I've checked the box to allow client to client connections under my different roles.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
dpeterson
New Contributor III

Re: Needing help with my wireless connections between clients with Adtran vWLAN and switches.

Hopefully you’re running 2.9 or higher where you can see the signal strength of the printers when they are connected.  My guess is they either have a firmware issue, or just lousy wireless hardware, assuming they’re in proximity to other devices connecting without issues.  What I would try is with a laptop and printer next to each other and equal distance to the AP, see what the difference in signal is. 

0 Kudos
dpeterson
New Contributor III

Re: Needing help with my wireless connections between clients with Adtran vWLAN and switches.

Oh yes, and check for updates from Dell, or see if anyone is reporting similar problems. 

0 Kudos
briangonyer
Contributor II
Contributor II

I have a similar setup with Dell B5460dn Laser Printer and they work fine, but yet make sure they have the latest firmware.

0 Kudos
kevinmessick
New Contributor

APs are on Firmware 3.0.1-641375

vWLAN is on 3.0.1

The latest firmware and software from DELL is loaded on the laptop and printer. I'll try in same location with the devices to see if that helps.

0 Kudos
briangonyer
Contributor II
Contributor II

How are the printers authenticating to the wireless? Device authentication?

0 Kudos
kevinmessick
New Contributor

We tried device authentication and SSID Default Role. We even made a Role just for printers to AllowALL traffic, but still have trouble establishing a connection.

0 Kudos
dpeterson
New Contributor III

Me thinks you're barking up the wrong tree with authentication.  It's either right or it's not, you authenticate or you never do, but you don't have a particular device just coming and going

0 Kudos
kevinmessick
New Contributor

It's starting to appear that we have a larger problem than just DELL printers not connecting. I started checking my vWLAN and noticed that my APs have been rebooting at different times. Also started using Network Monitor from Spiceworks and noticed my Adtran switches have been hitting MAX CPU load and some have been going offline.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kevin, have you opened a ticket with ADTRAN Product Support? If not, I would encourage you to do so. You might want to check on IGMP snooping as printers tend to flood multicast into your network. To that same point, you might want to block multicast in the roles that are assigned to the printers. An allow all type role for your printers may be causing more harm than good.

But again, you probably want to open up a ticket with ADTRAN Product Support and them help you.

0 Kudos
dpeterson
New Contributor III

If that's the case, the wireless problems may be a symptom and not the actual problem.  I would have a hard time believing the multiple switches could be going down just from the level of traffic, so is either something bad getting pumped across the network the switches aren't dealing with well for whatever reason.  If there was a broadcast storm taking you out it should be knocking out all devices, including wired.  A moderate level of multicast/broadcast would typically impact wireless more than wired.  I had an issue with a client network back in the days of 802.11g where multicast for a IP video streaming service was not being handled correctly by the switches and with a continuous traffic flow of about 25Mbps it effectively knocked out all the 802.11g with its theoretical 54Mbps capacity, which you know it doesn't actually have, especially under those circumstances.  A 25Mbps flood to a wired device wasn't noticed too much.  It'd certainly be harder to drown a 802.11n or better link, but I could see it causing problems.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's possible, although both broadcast and multicast are queued at the AP, and they only go out after a beacon. The AP has to set the DTIM to alert clients that broadcast and multicast is about to be sent. So in your case, the APs were probably not handling it properly. In the case of vWLAN, there is an option to convert broadcast/multicast in the SSID. I believe multicast conversion is on by default (something I disagree with), because once there are more than 6 clients connected, the feature causes more problems than it fixes. So perhaps also check the SSIDs and disable conversion.

0 Kudos
kevinmessick
New Contributor

I'd like to thank everyone for the help with my problem. I've always had the conversion for multicast/broadcast network traffic to unicast disable on my SSIDs. I'm checking my role settings for my SSIDs. Does anyone have a recommended configuration for roles?

0 Kudos