cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mhauke
New Contributor

Password Recovery / Default Password for ADTRAN 6540 SHDSL 2-Wire/4-Wire NTU

Password Recovery / Default Password for ADTRAN 6540 SHDSL 2-Wire/4-Wire NTU

I have lost the "Local Management"-password from an ADTRAN 6540 SHDSL 2-Wire/4-Wire NTU  (P/N: 1230001G2, Vendor Model Number: 1230001G2)

Is there a default password for these types of NTUs ?
Is there a way to do a factory reset  without knowning the current password ?

PS:
The old version of this NTU (LUCENT labeling, P/N: 1133234E1 , Vendor Model Number: 408956274) has the default password "password" but this wont work on the newer models.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Password Recovery / Default Password for ADTRAN 6540 SHDSL 2-Wire/4-Wire NTU

I have not used that particular unit, so here are the options I would try.  Hope this helps.

Option 1:

If AOS based, then connect a serial console cable and get the login prompt. Reboot unit, watch for a message to press the ESC key within 5 seconds, press the ESC key.  At the prompt enter "bypass password", then enter "boot", the unit will reboot. You will not prompt for any authentication when the boot process is finished.  Change the password as needed.

Option 2:
If similar to other Carrier Networks products the default username is ADMIN and the default password is PASSWORD both in uppercase.  If that does not work then connect a serial console cable and get a login prompt. For the username enter CHALLENGE in uppercase, you should get an alpha-numeric response. Call Adtran Technical Support and let them know you have a Challenge Key and need the proper response from their in-house software. They will give you a different alpha-numeric value to enter and you will be into the system. I know your unit is out of warranty, but they may help with this issue.

mhauke
New Contributor

Re: Password Recovery / Default Password for ADTRAN 6540 SHDSL 2-Wire/4-Wire NTU

@bmullarwnapsnc thanks for the answer but both of your options do not work on these types of devices.These devices can only be managed via serial (VT100), remote serial (VT100 via SDSL) or some proprietary SDSL EOC commands from an ADTRAN Total Access 3000 Access Multiplexer.

There is no username - you only have to provide a password.

I tried the following passwords without success:

Adtran
ADTRAN
adtran
password
Password
PASSWORD
serial number of the device
hw model of the device

I haven't found a way to interrupt the boot process either ...

I can not find any "manuals" for the Express 6540, only the Job Aid.4

I did find an Express document that states the default password is "adtran" all in lowercase, which you already tried.

I did find an Express 5000 series manual that mentioned holding down the "#" key while powering on the unit to factory default it, but the 6540 does not have a "#" key.

I did find an Express 6000 series manual that mentioned changing a DIP switch position on the back of the unit then power on the unit to factory default it, but the 6540 does not have external DIP switches.

I did find another Express manual that mentions while logged in to press the "F" key on a menu item to factory default that branch of parameters, but you can not get to the 6540 menus.

Based on the clues above, "I" would try the following:

- holding down the "F" key during the boot process

- holding down each button on the front during the boot process

- Call Adtran Technical Support for any possible help

Sorry I could not provide more help.

mhauke
New Contributor

Thanks again for the pointers - too bad none of them works ...

• I tried holding down the front panel buttons during boot in more or less every combination
  •  holding the "F"-key during boot
  •  sending a break sequence "Ctrl+f" on minicom during boot

I also contacted the ADTRAN support but they were not willing to help me since the product ist "End of Life" and "End of Support".