Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesanctil
New Contributor

Creating VLAN for IP Phone system.

Jump to solution

Hello Everyone,

My Name is James, and id first like to say thank you in advance for any help that is provided.

I was assigned the task of setting up a Netvanta 1238 PoE switch for use with an IP Phone system (avaya 9650c ip phones)

As i understand it i will be creating a separate VLAN(2) for the IP Phones. The switch will act as a DHCP server to the VLan(2) and assign the phones the ip addresses.

This will be my first Vlan configuration.

Where do i start? what information do i need to know to ask the right questions...

Again thank you for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Creating VLAN for IP Phone system.

Jump to solution

James:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  As with all network designs, there are multiple ways and "best practices" to setup a network.  Often, switchports connected to phones are configured as trunk ports, and DHCP options are used to direct the phones where to pull their configuration files. There are questions that need to be answered to be able to further assist you.

• Will the phones be configured to tag traffic with a VLAN (2), or will they be in the default VLAN?
  • Will there be computers plugged into the phones?
  • Do the phones support LLDP-MED, and would they like to get configuration settings via LLDP-MED?
  • Do the phones require specific DHCP options or where will the phones get their configuration file from?

Please, review this previous post for additional information on DHCP:  https://supportforums.adtran.com/message/2060#2060

This previous post may be beneficial for how to configure a switchport as a trunk:  https://supportforums.adtran.com/message/2955#2955

Please, do not hesitate to reply with any additional questions or information.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Jump to solution

EDIT MORE INFO:

Sorry about my incomplete first post, i have some more information...again i was just tossed into this so forgive me if i seem Newbish.

We have 2x Netvanta 1238 PoE switches and ~50 Avaya Ip Phones that will be directly connected to the switches.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

James:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  As with all network designs, there are multiple ways and "best practices" to setup a network.  Often, switchports connected to phones are configured as trunk ports, and DHCP options are used to direct the phones where to pull their configuration files. There are questions that need to be answered to be able to further assist you.

• Will the phones be configured to tag traffic with a VLAN (2), or will they be in the default VLAN?
  • Will there be computers plugged into the phones?
  • Do the phones support LLDP-MED, and would they like to get configuration settings via LLDP-MED?
  • Do the phones require specific DHCP options or where will the phones get their configuration file from?

Please, review this previous post for additional information on DHCP:  https://supportforums.adtran.com/message/2060#2060

This previous post may be beneficial for how to configure a switchport as a trunk:  https://supportforums.adtran.com/message/2955#2955

Please, do not hesitate to reply with any additional questions or information.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

James:

I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Levi