cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deepatel
New Contributor

I have a netvanta 1238, and lately at random the switch start flashing amber, and green fast, and then reboot. In doing it cut our data connections yet our voice line stays up.

I have a netvanta 1238, that connects to T1 and it handles all voice traffic. Lately at random the switch will start flashing amber, and green fast, and then reboot. In doing it cuts our data connections yet our voice line stays up.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I have a netvanta 1238, and lately at random the switch start flashing amber, and green fast, and then reboot. In doing it cut our data connections yet our voice line stays up.

Hi deepatel:

I'm not sure I understand, but I would check the firmware first.  R10.9 is the current extended maintenance release, as of this writing, and it's normally best to go with the latest version in that series.

See how that goes first.  How often does the symptom occur?  If you notice the problem while running the current firmware, then there could be a malfunction.  ADTRAN warranty coverage for switch products are awesome and so I would recommend calling into support at 888-4-ADTRAN.

Let us know if you have any new information or questions!

Best,

CJ

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: I have a netvanta 1238, and lately at random the switch start flashing amber, and green fast, and then reboot. In doing it cut our data connections yet our voice line stays up.

From CLI type the command "show flash" and look for one or more files named "exception report" or something similar.  I would recommend opening a support case and including those files. 

Hello cj!

The switch is under warranty, and has just replaced. Let start over with the setup first then the problem.

Our ISP is windstream and they provided us data, and voice. We have a fiber line, and a T1. Diagram below. Now what we are experiencing is through out the day at random our data will drop, and out phone line stays up. Then when we restart the netvanta the data comes back up. Not sure if that clears up any confusion. I was thinking there might be something internal that can be causing this problem. What would cause the netvanta to reboot, or need to be re booted to get our data working againCapture1.JPG.

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

It looks like you have three services on three subnets: Internet, private MPLS data, and Voice.  What drops?  MPLS data, Internet, or both?  You mentioned that rebooting the 1238 restores operation.  Does rebooting either of the Cisco CE routers restore it?  Who maintains the Ciscos, you or Windstream?

Have you involved the carrier?  One suspicion is that their VRRP is getting wedged and they're routing asymmetrically with RPF checking in strict mode. This is something that Windstream would need to look at, and it would be best if they could observe it during a failure.

Is there an outside switch between the router VRRP and the 1238 interfaces, or does each router connect to the 1238 directly for MPLS and Voice?  Likewise, how is VRRP accomplished to the firewall outside? Is there an outside switch?

If the 1238 is plumbed directly to both Cisco routers you might want to disable LLDP on the 1238 interfaces facing the Ciscos and disable CDP on the routers facing the Netvanta.  These protocols are similar but incompatible and may be causing problems.

Because this happens intermittently it would be good to get logs, both from the Adtran and the Cisco boxes.  Adtran logging has several options, the following documents may be useful:

Hello Jayh,

Thank you, for the insight. I have just turned this matter over to ISP Windstream, and they are sending out a tech to re-check all connections, and settings.

Thank you,

Deepak Patel

Tech Support

Message was edited by: noor
Removed contact information

Anonymous
Not applicable

-

I went ahead and flagged this post as "Assumed Answered". If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as Correct or Helpful as the case may be with the applicable buttons. This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you have any additional information on this that others may benefit from, please come back to this post to provide an update. If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor