cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interface errors on 1238

Jump to solution

I have a port on a 1238 that is throwing alignment errors and CRC's.  In my experience this is usually a cable issue but i just wanted to make sure, that it could not be a possible duplex mismatch issue, everything is set to auto-negotiate. The device shows up in the MAC table, shows up on the 1335 ARP table but its not getting any connectivity and ping drops all packets but lets a few in every once in a while.  Is there a document for the 1238 or for AOS that describes interface errors? 

Below is the output of some interface commands

swx 0/13 is UP, line protocol is UP

Hardware address is 00:A0:C8:60:DD:72

100Mb/s, negotiated full-duplex, configured full-duplex

output flow control is disabled, 0 pause frames sent

input flow control is disabled, 0 pause frames received

ARP type: ARPA; ARP timeout is 20 minutes

Last clearing of counters 15:14:09

5 minute input rate 32 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 872 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

917 packets input, 89781 bytes

433 unicasts, 480 broadcasts, 4 multicasts input

0 unknown protocol

162 input errors, 0 runts, 0 giants

5 alignment errors, 157 crc errors

15182 packets output, 3186508 bytes

2866 unicasts, 10395 broadcasts, 1921 multicasts output

0 output errors, 0 deferred, 0 discards

0 single, 0 multiple, 0 late collisions

0 excessive collisions

!

interface switchport 0/13

spanning-tree bpdufilter enable

spanning-tree bpduguard enable

spanning-tree edgeport

no shutdown

switchport access vlan 50

switchport voice vlan 51

switchport port-security

switchport port-security aging time 5

switchport port-security maximum 2

switchport port-security mac-address sticky

switchport port-security mac-address sticky 00:1b:78:0c:41:c9 vlan 50

Thanks

Sean

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Interface errors on 1238

Jump to solution

Sean,

Thank you for your question. I would say I would agree with you regarding the errors you are seeing. Most of the time, it is either a bad cable or a duplex mismatch. However, since you have confirmed that the device connected to switchport 0/13 is also set to auto-negotiate, it would seem to rule a duplex mismatch out. One thing you may want to check is if the NetVanta 1238 and the device connected to switchport 0/13 are negotiating to the same speed and duplex. In this case, you would need to confirm if the device is negotiating to full-duplex with a speed of 100 Mbps.

Another troubleshooting step, you could try is to move the device to another port on the NetVanta 1238 and see whether the issue follows. However, I do not see anything in your switchport configuration that could be causing the errors you are seeing.

Below is a brief description of the ethernet interface errors you are seeing:

Input Errors -  The number of data frames that were discarded on reception due to an error being detected in the data frame. This can include runts, giants, crc, and alignment errors.

CRC Errors - The cyclic redundancy check (CRC) value did not match up with the data that was received and can indicate that one or more bits were received incorrectly. This can be caused by a noisy cable or a faulty connection.

Alignment Errors - Caused by misaligned read and writes. For example, the AOS device could attempt a two byte read, but the memory address is not even a multiple of two. This could stem from the CRC errors where it appears that bits are being received incorrectly.

Please do not hesitate to reply to this post if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Noor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Interface errors on 1238

Jump to solution

Sean,

Thank you for your question. I would say I would agree with you regarding the errors you are seeing. Most of the time, it is either a bad cable or a duplex mismatch. However, since you have confirmed that the device connected to switchport 0/13 is also set to auto-negotiate, it would seem to rule a duplex mismatch out. One thing you may want to check is if the NetVanta 1238 and the device connected to switchport 0/13 are negotiating to the same speed and duplex. In this case, you would need to confirm if the device is negotiating to full-duplex with a speed of 100 Mbps.

Another troubleshooting step, you could try is to move the device to another port on the NetVanta 1238 and see whether the issue follows. However, I do not see anything in your switchport configuration that could be causing the errors you are seeing.

Below is a brief description of the ethernet interface errors you are seeing:

Input Errors -  The number of data frames that were discarded on reception due to an error being detected in the data frame. This can include runts, giants, crc, and alignment errors.

CRC Errors - The cyclic redundancy check (CRC) value did not match up with the data that was received and can indicate that one or more bits were received incorrectly. This can be caused by a noisy cable or a faulty connection.

Alignment Errors - Caused by misaligned read and writes. For example, the AOS device could attempt a two byte read, but the memory address is not even a multiple of two. This could stem from the CRC errors where it appears that bits are being received incorrectly.

Please do not hesitate to reply to this post if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Noor

0 Kudos