cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
radioengineer
New Contributor

Netvanta 1224ST ports won't pass traffic

Jump to solution

Hi all. I'm trying to determine if I have a dead switch, or if I'm just having a brain-dead moment. I have a pair of Netvanta 1224ST switches stacked, and a Lenovo Windows 7 laptop that I am using to test a very basic configuration. When using the CLI interface on either switch, I can ping each of the Netvantas (The stack master is 192.168.1.2, the next member is 192.168.1.3). On the master switch, using the Win 7 laptop, I can ping either switch's VLAN 1 IP as long as the laptop is plugged into ports 9-24. Ports 1 thru 8 come up, indicators on the front show a link, and act like they are working, but the ping never goes through. On the second switch, all ports work as expected from the Win 7 laptop. I've dumped the entire config and started from scratch, assuming there might have been some weirdness prior to my inheriting the switches, but no joy. I'm beginning to suspect there is a hardware problem in the master switch itself, but before it hits the can (warranty is expired), I thought I'd ask if I'm just missing something. Config file from the master stacked switch is below.

Thanks!

-Morgan

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Netvanta 1224ST ports won't pass traffic

Jump to solution

Morgan:

If everything is as you said, then I agree with you.  It appears there might be a hardware issue with those ports.  I know you mentioned the unit is out of the five year hardware warranty period, but there is an out-of-warranty repair option too.  If you would like to pursue that option, here is some information about it:  http://www.adtran.com/web/page/portal/Adtran/wp_support_rma

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Morgan:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  If you connect PCs directly to port 1 and port 2 on the main switch (part of the ports experiencing the issue), can they ping each other, or do those ports not pass any traffic?  It would be beneficial to determine if the ports can pass traffic locally, before you try to pass traffic between the switches.  Also, since you have IP addresses on both NetVanta switches, I do not see a reason to implement clustering/stacking on the switches.  When you get a chance, I recommend removing all the "stack" commands to reduce any unneeded complication in the configuration.

I hope that makes sense, but please let me know what the results are, and if you have any further information or questions.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

Jump to solution

Hi Levi -

I tried what you proposed in having two PCs attempt to ping each other, while plugged into eth 0/1 and eth 0/2, but unfortunately, while both indicated a network link, they could not see each other. With both plugged into eth 0/8 and eth 0/9 respectively, they could ping each other, and also ping the switch's IP address successfully. I disconnected the other switch and removed the stack commands to see if it made any difference, but it did not. It wasn't my intent to leave all of the switches with assigned IP addresses, rather it was a convenience issue while I was trying out the setup. The more I play with with this switch, the more convinced I am that it is an internal hardware problem, since the entire bank of 8 ports is out, rather than just a single one.

Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for your help!

-Morgan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Morgan:

If everything is as you said, then I agree with you.  It appears there might be a hardware issue with those ports.  I know you mentioned the unit is out of the five year hardware warranty period, but there is an out-of-warranty repair option too.  If you would like to pursue that option, here is some information about it:  http://www.adtran.com/web/page/portal/Adtran/wp_support_rma

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Levi

0 Kudos