cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Netvanta 1224STR Backup/failover T1

- You will need to set up network monitoring, as I mentioned originally, to failover from the Ethernet connection to the T1 connection. You mentioned that the T1 was not working. Could you provide the output of "show int" and "show ip route" on both T1 routers? This is to verify that the T1 and HDLC is up. If those are up, then the issue becomes the routing at that point.

The static routes on both devices seem to be misconfigured as well. You will not need any static routes to ping from ethernet WAN to ethernet WAN or HDLC interface to HDLC interface. As long as these interfaces are in an up state, they will be added automatically as connected routes. I propose this be the first goal.

Once this is achieved you will need to look into adding the appropriate static routes. What 2 LAN subnets are you planning to test with on your bench?

Also, it may be helpful to see a diagram of how you have it set up on your bench.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Noor

Highlighted
New Contributor

I am waiting for another 1335 tomorrow to have the correct bench layout as per my drawing.  Then I will start looking at configs again.  Before, the T1 interface was UP but HDLC was down.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor

Here is the latest update.  I have the equipment laid out as in the PDF file. I also attached the configs.  As I am very new to this, I tried to follow the Adtran document on configuring WAN failover, step by step.

I had to upgrade all three units to the latest FW versions.

I have two problems:

1. (major) I can ping from the HP 8640 laptop to the CF29 laptop fine.  I remove the ethernet cable between the two 1335 to simulate the ethernet connection failing, and my connection goes down and ping goes away.  I waited about 5 minutes and never saw anything recover.  I think it has to do with my 4305 being between the two 1335's.  That is there because we will have additional sites that will need to also attach in this manner, to the Madison 1335.

2. (minor) I can ping from the CF29 to the HP 8640 laptop, but I cant ping the other way from the HP to the CF29?!  Not sure why not. I can ping all the way to the .198 gateway, but not to .197.

Take a look and see what you find.  ANY help is GREATLY appreciated!

THANK you!!

NMH

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

- I think the first thing we need to make sure is correctly reflected in your test setup is the addressing. Based on your PDF, the LAN in Beaver Dam and the LAN in Madison HQ are the same (172.17.226.192 /28). These should be different networks unless I misunderstood something. I'm also going on the assumption that the goal of the lab setup is to have the 2 devices marked 'Critical Ethernet Device' be able to talk to each other via the primary ethernet and backup T1 link.

There are other suggestions regarding the configuration I have, but I just want to make sure the IP subnetting is correct first.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Noor

Highlighted
New Contributor

LAN subnets are correct. The charter pipe looks flat to us. We assign an IP in Madison (172.17.226.1 /25) and the field site would be 172.x on the same /25.  Same goes for the smaller subnet for the critical devices. They are assign a VLAN xxxx like .193 /28 and the other side is .194 on the same /28.

And correct... the primary ethernet is the current communications for all devices on the field side.  If the ethernet fails, then only the "critical ethernet" devices should go across the T1.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor

I assume this may be a dead issue.. or not possible?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

:

I think at this point, it may be more efficient and beneficial to open a ticket with ADTRAN Technical Support, then you can come back to this thread and post the results.  You can create a ticket in several ways:

- Over the phone by calling 888-423-8726

- Emailing support@adtran.com

- Opening a webticket on the ADTRAN website

Levi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

:

I went ahead and flagged this post as "Assumed Answered." If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as Correct or Helpful as the case may be with the applicable buttons. This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Levi

0 Kudos