cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zucchini
New Contributor

Putty or Hyper Terminal do not accept any key input when trying to make a console connection to 1224r

Jump to solution

Putty or Hyper Terminal do not accept any key input when trying to make a console connection to 1224r

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Putty or Hyper Terminal do not accept any key input when trying to make a console connection to 1224r

Jump to solution

That output shows that the speed and connection between the computer and the switch appear to be good.

Either the RS-232 console (craft) port on the device or the serial port on your computer is not working. If you disconnect the cable from the switch and connect pins 2 and 3 of the serial cable together, do you see the characters echo as you type?

Another possibility, rare but it has bitten a lot  of people - Some APC UPS systems ship with what looks like a regular RS-232 cable but isn't. It's deliberately miswired to interface with the deliberately miswired DB-9 connector on the UPS. These wind up in junk drawers and then people try to use them as regular cables, which will fail. If your serial cable is labeled 940-1524 or 940-0024 either throw it away or use it only with the APC UPS that it came with.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Putty or Hyper Terminal do not accept any key input when trying to make a console connection to 1224r

Jump to solution

Junk them and get a real RS232 cable from Fry's, Monoprice, Rat Shack, etc. I have no idea why APC did that, but it's crazy and has bit a lot of people. Real RS-232 cables don't work on their UPSs either. Beyond stupid on APC's part.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

If you have it connected and power-cycle the 1224, do you see legible text of the start-up sequence, garbage characters, or nothing?

Jump to solution

It won't accept any input at this point.

Putty_001.jpg

Or at this point.

Putty_002.jpg

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

That output shows that the speed and connection between the computer and the switch appear to be good.

Either the RS-232 console (craft) port on the device or the serial port on your computer is not working. If you disconnect the cable from the switch and connect pins 2 and 3 of the serial cable together, do you see the characters echo as you type?

Another possibility, rare but it has bitten a lot  of people - Some APC UPS systems ship with what looks like a regular RS-232 cable but isn't. It's deliberately miswired to interface with the deliberately miswired DB-9 connector on the UPS. These wind up in junk drawers and then people try to use them as regular cables, which will fail. If your serial cable is labeled 940-1524 or 940-0024 either throw it away or use it only with the APC UPS that it came with.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks Jayh, I appear to be using ACP UPS cables ( I have 2, one of each you mentioned above ). Perhaps I can rewire one of them to do what I need.

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

Junk them and get a real RS232 cable from Fry's, Monoprice, Rat Shack, etc. I have no idea why APC did that, but it's crazy and has bit a lot of people. Real RS-232 cables don't work on their UPSs either. Beyond stupid on APC's part.

0 Kudos