cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rampar
New Contributor

VLAN with IP Phones to DHCP server

Jump to solution

Hello everyone, I'm new to this so please bear with me!

We have a Windows 2003 Server with 2 scopes 10.122.143.x and 10.10.1.x.  We have 3 seperate buildings linked together, so we have 3 1224st's that we need to setup with a VLAN so that it can grab the 10.10.1.x IP's for the phones and 10.122.143.x for everything else.  I've been playing around, and I can't seem to get a grasp on how the configuration file should be setup.

I've attached it so that you guys can take a look.  What we want is

VLAN 2 to be the voice_network and VLAN 3 to be the user_network.  Right now, when I have a port left as Trunk, I can't get any DHCP address.  I have to set it up as Trunk with native being vlan 2.  I also can't pink the switch so I can't connect to it over the network, I have to use the serial cable.  Just any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Labels (1)
Tags (5)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: VLAN with IP Phones to DHCP server

Jump to solution

:

Remove the command ip host "swleh101" 10.10.1.4 by entering the command again with the no keyword in front of it like this:  no ip host "swleh101" 10.10.1.4.  That command is not needed in this design.

The command ip default-gateway 10.10.1.1 will allow you to manage the switch when you are on a different subnet because the switch will send the traffic to the default-gateway (router) to route the traffic appropriately.

To manage the ADTRAN switch you will need this in the configuration:

interface vlan 2

ip address  10.10.1.4  255.255.255.0  <--this sets the web interface IP address

no shutdown

You will not set the DNS servers on the switch.  Typically this is handled by a router, or the DHCP server.

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  These previous posts may provide you with some beneficial information about the common design for this application: 
https://supportforums.adtran.com/message/3044#3044

https://supportforums.adtran.com/message/2632#2632

In addition to some of the questions that you should answer from those previous posts, are the phones tagging the traffic with VLAN 2?  What IP address subnet and VLAN do you want to manage the switches on?

Please, reply to this post with additional information and questions.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

rampar
New Contributor

Jump to solution

The phones should be tagging traffic with VLAN 2, but we haven't gotten to that point I guess.  From options 156 on the DHCP server, it is supposed to tag it with VLAN 2.  But maybe this is where I'm getting confused at.

I would like to be able to manage the switch on the 10.10.1.4.

I did read through those other posts before, and I can "create" a VLAN, but it just doesn't seem to accomplish what we're trying to do.  I see the terms such as 'switchport access vlan' and 'switchport access mode', but I can't really find out what each one does. And every setup I refer to seems to lead me in a different direction.

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Often, phones will initially boot up in the native VLAN (1 in most cases), requesting an address via DHCP.  In your case, the phones will request a DHCP address with options.  The DHCP server will receive this DHCP DISCOVERY message with options, and then tell the phones to reboot into the desired VLAN (VLAN 2 in your case).  Furthermore, if the PCs are connected to the phones, and then the phones connect to the switch, the switchports on the switch should be configured as trunks, which will allow multiple VLANs (both phones and PCs) to traverse the link.  The command switchport mode trunk configures the port in trunking mode.

To test your configuration, I would recommend setting up something similar to this:

• DHCP server connected to a trunk port on the ADTRAN switch (with a configuration similar to below)

interface eth 0/4

no shutdown

switchport mode trunk

• Phone connected to a trunk port on the ADTRAN switch (with a configuration similar to below)
    • PC connected to the phone

interface eth 0/5

no shutdown

switchport mode trunk

With this configuration, the PC should obtain an IP address from the DHCP server, and the phone should receive an IP address from the DHCP server, which then instructs it to reboot into a new VLAN.

As mentioned in the previous linked post, the VLAN interface is for management purposes (i.e. logging into the unit via telnet, SSH, HTTP, or HTTPS for configuration changes and troubleshooting; there can be only one active VLAN interface on the unit).  Therefore, the only interface vlan command that should be configured on the unit should be for the management VLAN's IP address.  I believe in your case it would be similar to this:

interface vlan x (where x represents the management VLAN ID)

ip address 10.10.1.4 255.255.255.0

no shutdown

Please, do not hesitate to reply and let me know what additional questions you have.

Levi

rampar
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Okay, here's what I got so far...

ip host "swleh101" 10.10.1.4   <---this is what the IP address is of the switch?  Should this be the same as the web interface?

ip domain-name "lehi.local"

ip default-gateway 10.10.1.1  <--- this is our watchguard router

interface eth 0/4

no shutdown

switchport mode trunk

!

interface eth 0/5

no shutdown

switchport mode trunk

!

interface eth 0/6

no shutdown

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan 2

!

interface eth 0/7

no shutdown

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan 3

!

interface eth 0/8

no shutdown

switchport mode trunk

switchport access vlan 2

!

With it setup like this, I can connect to the web interface of

eth 0/6 and eth 0/8 with a direct connection. Any other connection I use will not connect to the web interface.  This is while setting my IP to 10.10.1.101 sub:255.255.255.0 router:10.10.1.1

also, do I need to include this?

!

interface vlan 1

no ip address

shutdown

interface vlan 2

ip address  10.10.1.4  255.255.255.0  <--this sets the web interface correct?

no shutdown

!

It was on one of the backup configs so I copied it over.  Is there a setting for telling the switch where the DNS server is?  Ours is on 10.122.143.10, but I don't know if that needs to be specified somewhere.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Remove the command ip host "swleh101" 10.10.1.4 by entering the command again with the no keyword in front of it like this:  no ip host "swleh101" 10.10.1.4.  That command is not needed in this design.

The command ip default-gateway 10.10.1.1 will allow you to manage the switch when you are on a different subnet because the switch will send the traffic to the default-gateway (router) to route the traffic appropriately.

To manage the ADTRAN switch you will need this in the configuration:

interface vlan 2

ip address  10.10.1.4  255.255.255.0  <--this sets the web interface IP address

no shutdown

You will not set the DNS servers on the switch.  Typically this is handled by a router, or the DHCP server.

Levi

0 Kudos
rampar
New Contributor

Jump to solution

I think I have it all setup like it should be.  We're going to remove the temporary switch that's in place and test it out.

Thanks for your help!