cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Asymmetrical routing

Would this be considered Asymmetrical routing?

I have a router configured with two sub-interfaces, one sub-interface configured for each VLAN configured on a Adtran 1335 switch. The Adtran 1335 is the gateway for the site. The traffic coming in and going out of the router will stay on the same VLAN. When traffic comes into the site from the router, traffic coming from the router obviously goes directly to the destination device on that VLAN. When the destination device responds to the traffic, it sends traffic to the Adtran 1335, then the Adtran 1335 sends the traffic to the sub-interface of the router.

I'm being told that tis is Asymmetrical routing, I don't believe it is. Who's correct?

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Asymmetrical routing

@jeff - I'm assuming that what you mean by asymmetrical routing is that traffic in one direction is taking a different path than the response traffic in the other direction. If that is the case, then no, I do not believe you are doing asymmetrical routing. Based on your description, the traffic will follow the same path inbound and outbound. Assuming that the 1335 has a default route that points to the router, the only difference is that when traffic is going outbound from your VLAN towards the router, since the default gateway of your host is the 1335, the 1335 performs a route lookup. When traffic is coming inbound from the router, the 1335 will simply act as a switch. However, the path inbound and outbound traffic follows will be the same.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Noor