Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

VLan & Routing

Jump to solution

I am new to Vlans and Routing.  Here is what I need to do:

I have a Netvanta 1335.  I set up the following Vlan:

I have the Vlan set up but I can not see it.  How do I use the routing feature on this switch to be able to see that VLAN?  The VLAN is assigned to Port 1.

Our gateway for the network is:  172.16.3.1

The netvana switch IP address is 172.16.3.7

Our Firewall/Gateway has NAT configured to resolve this VLAN

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  I work for a public school and I need this accomplished ASAP

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: VLan & Routing

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  The document Configuring InterVLAN Routing in AOS covers this topic in detail.

When you configure a VLAN interface in a Router/Switch product, such as the NetVanta 1335, it automatically creates a connected route to that network and InterVLAN routing is allowed.  However, in your case, you mentioned you have a different "Firewall/Gateway."  This device will need a route to any network/VLAN that is not on its local subnet.  Based on the information you've provided, the "Firewall/Gateway" device would need a route to the 172.16.254.0 subnet with a next hop address of 172.16.3.7.  This traffic should not be NAT'ed, but instead allowed to route, without altering the source address.

I hope that makes sense, but do not hesitate to reply to this post with additional questions or information.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  The document Configuring InterVLAN Routing in AOS covers this topic in detail.

When you configure a VLAN interface in a Router/Switch product, such as the NetVanta 1335, it automatically creates a connected route to that network and InterVLAN routing is allowed.  However, in your case, you mentioned you have a different "Firewall/Gateway."  This device will need a route to any network/VLAN that is not on its local subnet.  Based on the information you've provided, the "Firewall/Gateway" device would need a route to the 172.16.254.0 subnet with a next hop address of 172.16.3.7.  This traffic should not be NAT'ed, but instead allowed to route, without altering the source address.

I hope that makes sense, but do not hesitate to reply to this post with additional questions or information.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Levi,

Thanks.  I do have the 172.16.3.254.0 address routed to 172.16.3.7 in the firewall but I still can't get it to work, so there must be something else I am missing.  It has to do with the firewall because I spoke with an Adtran tech this morning and if we bypassed the firewall by entering 172.16.3.7 in my local computers default gateway, we could ping the 254 VLAN, as soon as we put the 172.16.3.1 back into the gateway on the local machine, we could not ping.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

The ADTRAN unit is configured properly if you could bypass the firewall and use the ADTRAN as the default-gateway for the PCs and everything worked.  As I mentioned previously, I would verify the route in the firewall (the one you listed above is not a proper IP network format and is different than the VLAN you first mentioned).  Also, make sure the firewall is not NATing the traffic and is only allowing traffic destined for that subnet.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Here is a picture of the configuration on my router/gateway, can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

Candace

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Candace:

Based on the screenshot, the route may be entered properly.  However, other than the suggestions I made previously, I will not be able to provide any assistance on non-ADTRAN products.  I suggest you troubleshoot with the router/firewall vendor regarding the settings of that device.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Levi