cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drjarmon
New Contributor III

Best Practices for connecting multiple VMWare ESX 4.1 server ports to NetVanta switches.

Looking for real world guidance for interconnecting VM Esx 4.1 Virtual Switches to Adtran switches.  Would like to dual connect virtual switches to two different Adtran switches.  Have one path primary and other backup.

Thanks

Don Jarmon

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Practices for connecting multiple VMWare ESX 4.1 server ports to NetVanta switches.

Don:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  I am not familiar with VM Esx 4.1 Virtual Switches.  Do you have any additional information about the nature of the application and what you intend to do?  I will be happy to answer any questions in regards to functionality of the ADTRAN units.

Levi

drjarmon
New Contributor III

Re: Best Practices for connecting multiple VMWare ESX 4.1 server ports to NetVanta switches.

This is VMware paper entitled Best Practices Virtual Network.  Most of the reference are for Cisco / HP switch capabilities.  Trying to map VMWare recommendations with Adtran switch capabilities to establish a Best VMware Practices in an Adtran enviornment.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/support/landing_pages/Virtual-Support-Day-Best-Practices-Virtual-Net...

Anonymous
Not applicable

:

I scanned the document you linked and most of the information applies directly.  However, there may be some features described that the ADTRAN units do not support or differ slightly from a Cisco unit.  For example, there are minor differences on:

• Link Aggregation - you might be able to use NIC Teaming on the servers, which requires no special setup for the switchports
  • BPDUGuard - ADTRAN units will go into a Blocking state, but not shutdown the port
  • LLDP - You must choose between CDP and LLDP

Do you have any specific questions about that document related to ADTRAN units?

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

-

I went ahead and flagged this post as "Assumed Answered". If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as Correct or Helpful as the case may be with the applicable buttons. This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you have any additional information on this that others may benefit from, please come back to this post to provide an update. If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor