cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bigleague
New Contributor

Does NetVanta support "No Switchport" Command so that an IP address can be assigned to a switchport?

Jump to solution

I would like to assign an IP address to a port on a 1638. Does NetVanta support this?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does NetVanta support "No Switchport" Command so that an IP address can be assigned to a switchport?

Jump to solution

Hi bigleague:

The technique I think you'll want to use is to create a new VLAN IP interface, then hard-set one or more switchports in that VLAN (access port, or port-based VLAN).  Here's a sample configuration that includes the commands you need, with VLAN 2 as the example.  Cheers!

CJ

!

vlan 2

name "Network 2"

!

!

interface gigabit-switchport 0/20

description Network 2

no shutdown

switchport access vlan 2

!

interface gigabit-switchport 0/21

description Network 2

no shutdown

switchport access vlan 2

!

!

interface vlan 2

description Network 2

ip address  172.16.2.1  255.255.255.0

no shutdown

!

end

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does NetVanta support "No Switchport" Command so that an IP address can be assigned to a switchport?

Jump to solution

Hi bigleague:

The technique I think you'll want to use is to create a new VLAN IP interface, then hard-set one or more switchports in that VLAN (access port, or port-based VLAN).  Here's a sample configuration that includes the commands you need, with VLAN 2 as the example.  Cheers!

CJ

!

vlan 2

name "Network 2"

!

!

interface gigabit-switchport 0/20

description Network 2

no shutdown

switchport access vlan 2

!

interface gigabit-switchport 0/21

description Network 2

no shutdown

switchport access vlan 2

!

!

interface vlan 2

description Network 2

ip address  172.16.2.1  255.255.255.0

no shutdown

!

end

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick response. I understand how to do it with VLANs however, I was just looking for a cleaner way. So am I correct in assuming the answer is no? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

To my knowledge, switchports cannot be used as Ethernet interfaces, strictly speaking.  VLAN interfaces must be used.

Best,

CJ

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Levi