cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Locate Host on Network

Jump to solution

How would I locate a specific host on our network?  I have the ip and mac address from our Windows DHCP server.  We have 6 adtran switches and I'm not sure which one it's connected to or it could be connected to our wireless AP which is then connected to adtran.  All are on the same subnet. Ping and tracert time out from my Windows PC and from the utility on the adtran switch.

I tried show interface but the mac addresses don't seem to be the ones for our equipment.  Show arp didn't help.  What can I do?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Locate Host on Network

Jump to solution

@robert - Thanks for posting your question on the forum!

In this scenario, you will want to use the show mac address-table command. This table, on a NetVanta switch, will show you which switchport a particular MAC address is being learned on. Using this table, you should be able to follow where the host is in your network, including those connected wirelessly.

The show arp command you used will show you the mapping between the MAC address and IP address. The MAC address table will show you the mapping between the MAC address and the switchport where that MAC address can be reached.

I hope that answers your question, but please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Noor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

@robert - Thanks for posting your question on the forum!

In this scenario, you will want to use the show mac address-table command. This table, on a NetVanta switch, will show you which switchport a particular MAC address is being learned on. Using this table, you should be able to follow where the host is in your network, including those connected wirelessly.

The show arp command you used will show you the mapping between the MAC address and IP address. The MAC address table will show you the mapping between the MAC address and the switchport where that MAC address can be reached.

I hope that answers your question, but please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Noor

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

@robert -

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post to unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor