cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madmax58
New Contributor

NetVanta 1531p, two networks, one shared printer, no data crosstalk, how to configure?

About my self;

I have been working in the IT field since before '86 but I'm a newbie to network switch configuring.

Task background;

I've been tasked with setting up a NetVanta 1531p switch to share one printer from two networks and no data sharing between the two networks.

I've also downloaded all documents I could find on this switch NetVanta 1531p, from the wed page for research.

What I'm asking is;

I have two networks, one printer to share, a NetVanat 1531p switch and block any data sharing between the two networks.

What would be the best configuration setup for doing this task?

And if I could also get any configuration guide lines I should follow, that would be very helpful.

Thank You,

Jason Nice

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: NetVanta 1531p, two networks, one shared printer, no data crosstalk, how to configure?

Looks like, from what I've read from other site and this one, VLANs configuration is the way to go.  Will now look into the configuration of the unit's VLANs, so I end up with a working configuration that supports my needs in the way of this task. If anyone has input for their config, that would be helpful, I'm still a newbie at this but willing to learn as much as I can.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NetVanta 1531p, two networks, one shared printer, no data crosstalk, how to configure?

The default gateway's of the two networks would be used to route to the printer and back from the printer.

• If the NV1531P is set up to route using VLAN interfaces between the networks and to act as the network default-route or default-gateway to these two networks, it will route everything between networks.
  • Therefore the best configuration would be done on the network gateway / router to allow the specific traffic between VLAN's.
  • This would not be best if it was required to run at line speeds since the router is normally slower than a switch.

Hope this provides the network design information you were requesting.