cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianober
New Contributor

Using SPF port for Trunk not working

Jump to solution

I am trying to connect one of the XGIG ports on my 1550-48P to a Cisco gig port as a trunk connection.  I have both ports configured for trunking and allowing all VLANS for now and I cannot get the 1550 port to light up.  THe Cisco port sees the connection and auto negotiates the connection but the 1550 shows nothing, no link light at all.  I am using 10/100/10000 BaseT SFP modules and the Adtran recognizes them as OEM compatible when they are plugged in but they are not lighting up when connected to the Cisco.

Any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Using SPF port for Trunk not working

Jump to solution

Is your transceiver coded as 1184561P4, 1442300G1, or something else?

My suspicion is that the firmware in the 1550 doesn't have the ability to recognize a multi-speed copper SFP. According to this matrix https://supportforums.adtran.com/resources/statics/27720/Support_Forum_SFP_Matrix-v8v3.html there are two Adtran copper gigabit SFPs. The 1184561P4 is gigabit only, and the 1442300G1 is 10/100/1000, but its data sheet states "Supports 10/100/1000 Mbps using the appropriate module/ platform" and it doesn't look like the 1550 is supported. See its data sheet: https://portal.adtran.com/web/appmanager/portal/Adtran?_nfpb=true&partNumber=1442300G1&productGroupI.... It doesn't list the 1550 switch, just 800 and TA5000. I think your options are:

• Call Adtran re compatibility - They'll likely want you to buy a transceiver from Adtran at a rather high price.
  • Use a regular RJ-45 port.
  • Try a 1000-base-T only transceiver, not multi-speed
  • Get an SFP coded as 1184561P4.
  • Use an SFP cable like CAB-SFP-50CM= (Cisco) or 1200484G1 (Adtran) if switches in same rack.
  • Use MMF or SMF with fiber transceivers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

Try manually configuring the port on the Adtran to 1000 full-duplex. I know it's crazy to have to set a fiber port to full-duplex but that's most likely the issue. You may need to do the same on the Cisco, or occasionally "speed nonegotiate" to get it to play nice.

ianober
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Hardcoding the ports at both ends did not do the trick.  I am wondering if this SFP module is a no go.  Again, I get the Cisco to chow as happy but the Adtran does not even show me a link light.

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

Try clearing the revenue protection bit. On some Adtran platforms, in interface configuration mode, "no alarm enable pluggable unknown" allows standards-based optics to just plain work as they should. You may get a message warning of earthquakes, pestilence, and plague that you can ignore.

Do you have a light meter? Is the laser on? Did you try rolling TX and RX strands? If you loop the TX to the RX on the transceiver does it come up briefly? It will detect that it's looped after a few seconds.

ianober
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Jay this is not an optical fiber SFP module, this is a copper 10/100/1000 SFP module.

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

OK. The Cisco side is gigabit? Straight-through twisted pair cable with all four pairs wired? Cable run less than 100 meters? Does it get link and negotiate gigabit if you plug it in to one of the regular RJ45 ports on the Adtran?

It's possible that the switch just doesn't know what to do with that type of SFP. Some Adtran SFP slots aren't happy with anything doing less than gigabit. If you're going twisted pair I'd just use a regular copper port for it or get a 1000-base-T SFP that doesn't try to negotiate the lower speeds.

If the switches are close to each other in the same rack and you don't want to give up a PoE port for the link,an Infiniband type cable is another option.

ianober
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Yes to all your questions Jay.  All the connections are going to at least 1GB.  When I connect the Adtran SFP to the Cisco Ethernet port it DOES NOT work.  But when I connect the Adtran ethernet port (48) to the Cisco SFP port IT DOES work.  The the SFP modules I have (both the same) work in the cisco but apparently not in the Adtran.

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

Is your transceiver coded as 1184561P4, 1442300G1, or something else?

My suspicion is that the firmware in the 1550 doesn't have the ability to recognize a multi-speed copper SFP. According to this matrix https://supportforums.adtran.com/resources/statics/27720/Support_Forum_SFP_Matrix-v8v3.html there are two Adtran copper gigabit SFPs. The 1184561P4 is gigabit only, and the 1442300G1 is 10/100/1000, but its data sheet states "Supports 10/100/1000 Mbps using the appropriate module/ platform" and it doesn't look like the 1550 is supported. See its data sheet: https://portal.adtran.com/web/appmanager/portal/Adtran?_nfpb=true&partNumber=1442300G1&productGroupI.... It doesn't list the 1550 switch, just 800 and TA5000. I think your options are:

• Call Adtran re compatibility - They'll likely want you to buy a transceiver from Adtran at a rather high price.
  • Use a regular RJ-45 port.
  • Try a 1000-base-T only transceiver, not multi-speed
  • Get an SFP coded as 1184561P4.
  • Use an SFP cable like CAB-SFP-50CM= (Cisco) or 1200484G1 (Adtran) if switches in same rack.
  • Use MMF or SMF with fiber transceivers

0 Kudos
ianober
New Contributor

Jump to solution

1200485G1

And right before it on the box it says "ADTRAN COMPATIBLE"   lol

ianober
New Contributor

Jump to solution

I am ordering one of the 1184561P4 modules and will test that.  Thanks for all your help Jay!