We have a customer with two ISPs, two NetVanta 2360Ws, and a 1534 L3 Gig Switch.
Only four machines need to route out the second ISP gateway, the rest stay on the primary ISP.
The four machines need access to resources on the LAN.
VLANs look to be a most practical solution, however, PBR seems to look promising as an option. If I understand PBR, the 1534 can be configured to route traffic from specific IP addresses (i.e., the 'four') out the secondary gateway. This is appealing in that it doesn't require much disruption in the current environment. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you for asking this question in the support community. You are correct; you can achieve this in multiple ways. Unfortunately, the NetVanta 1534 does not support policy-based routing (PBR) (AOS feature matrix). So, if you choose the PBR option, you can configure the NetVanta 2360Ws to route based on the source address of the devices you desire to manipulate. The general concept is that when devices arrive at the router matching one of the specified source addresses, and also destined to the Internet, you manually override the route-table by setting the next hop IP address.
Please, let me know what additional questions or information you have. I will be happy to help in any way I can.
Since the 1534 doesn't support PBR (and it is the only switch in the environment) then it appears Configuring Standalone InterVLAN Routing really the only option. Am I correct in that assumption?
The NetVanta 1534 is a Layer 3 switch, typically, PBR is done on a router. In your case, is it possible to configure the NetVanta 2360Ws to perform PBR?
Unless, you have the ability to put the four devices on their own subnet/VLAN, I don't think interVLAN routing will achieve the desired outcome, because most likely you will still need to route based on source address. However, if you can manipulate their subnet/VLAN, then you will just need to setup standard interVLAN routing.
Let me know what other questions you have.
It was really overkill for a simple LAN segment. We ended up decommissioning the 1534 and dropping in a plain, non-blocking switch to solve the problem.
Thanks for the ideas here - hope it'll help others.
I'm glad you got the application working. When you get a chance, will you go into greater detail about how you solved this? Based on the previous information, it didn't appear this could be resolved with a layer two switch, but it would be great if you could explain your design and what you did to fix the issue.
I went ahead and flagged this post as "Assumed Answered". If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as Correct or Helpful as the case may be with the applicable buttons. This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you have any additional information on this that others may benefit from, please come back to this post to provide an update. If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.