cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Speed / Duplex Mis-Match Question

Jump to solution

I have recently started to see a speed duplex mismatch when ssh'd into my Netvanta 3120.

The message is:

2012.02.20 13:09:29 LLDP LLDP:  Speed Duplex mis-match on swx 0/1. Speed/Duplex: "100M/full-duplex"   Neighbor Speed/Duplex: "10M/half-duplex"

I have nailed up both ends at 100M/Full-duplex and I am still seeing the warning.

This port (swx 0/1) is plugged into my switch a (Netgear GS724T ; firmware V1.1.4(0618)) .

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance

Mike

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Speed / Duplex Mis-Match Question

Jump to solution

Mike,

I didn't see any issues in the configuration  or statistics you sent of the NetVanta 3100. If there is a true duplex mismatch, more than likely you will see collisions and/or input errors on either side of the link. I did not see any on the NetVanta 3100. Generally, the rule of thumb regarding speed and duplex settings is that if the device the NetVanta is plugged into is set to auto-negotiate, then the NetVanta should also be set to auto-negotiate. If the device the NetVanta is plugged into is hard-set to a certain speed and duplex setting, then the NetVanta should be set to the same speed and duplex setting as the device.

It would be helpful to see the output of "debug lldp verbose" on the NetVanta 3100. Simply, telnet to the NetVanta, get into enable mode, and issue the "debug lldp verbose" command. It would be a good idea to log the output as the data maybe displayed faster than you'll be able to review it. To disable the debug, simply type in "u a". This will help us in seeing what the Netgear is telling the NetVanta via LLDP regarding its own speed and duplex.

Another option that would possibly provide more information is to set up a port mirror between the 3100 and the Netgear and capture the LLDP traffic between the two.

If you are able to get any debug, I would be more than happy to take a look at it for you.

Thanks,

Noor

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Mike,

Could you reply with the configuration for interface switchport 0/1? Also, which firmware is the NetVanta 3120 currently running?

Thanks,

Noor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Versions:

! ADTRAN OS version 18.01.01.00.E

! Boot ROM version 17.01.01.00

! Platform: NetVanta 3120, part number 1700601G2

sh interface sw 0/1

swx 0/1 is UP, line protocol is UP

Hardware address is 00:A0:C8:72:A3:CD

100Mb/s, full-duplex

output flow control is disabled, 0 pause frames sent

input flow control is disabled, 0 pause frames received

ARP type: ARPA; ARP timeout is 20 minutes

Last clearing of counters never

5 minute input rate 142896 bits/sec, 67 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 551296 bits/sec, 76 packets/sec

Queueing method: fifo

Output queue: 0/256/0 (size/max total/drops)

Interface Shaper: NOT ENABLED

1513111 packets input, 279146394 bytes

1478439 unicasts, 18154 broadcasts, 16518 multicasts input

0 symbol errors, 0 discards

0 input errors, 0 runts, 0 giants

0 alignment errors, 0 crc errors

2025960 packets output, 2048509982 bytes

2007113 unicasts, 8018 broadcasts, 10829 multicasts output

0 output errors, 0 deferred, 0 discards

0 single, 0 multiple, 0 late collisions

0 excessive collisions

sh run (for sw 0/1)

interface switchport 0/1

speed 100

no shutdown

sh switchports

Name: swx 0/1

Switchport: enabled

Administrative Mode: access

Negotiation of Trunking: access

Access Mode VLAN (configured): 1

Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1

Trunking VLAN Enabled: 1-4094

Trunking VLAN GVRP Fixed: none

Port Expiration: disabled

Port Security: disabled

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Mike,

I didn't see any issues in the configuration  or statistics you sent of the NetVanta 3100. If there is a true duplex mismatch, more than likely you will see collisions and/or input errors on either side of the link. I did not see any on the NetVanta 3100. Generally, the rule of thumb regarding speed and duplex settings is that if the device the NetVanta is plugged into is set to auto-negotiate, then the NetVanta should also be set to auto-negotiate. If the device the NetVanta is plugged into is hard-set to a certain speed and duplex setting, then the NetVanta should be set to the same speed and duplex setting as the device.

It would be helpful to see the output of "debug lldp verbose" on the NetVanta 3100. Simply, telnet to the NetVanta, get into enable mode, and issue the "debug lldp verbose" command. It would be a good idea to log the output as the data maybe displayed faster than you'll be able to review it. To disable the debug, simply type in "u a". This will help us in seeing what the Netgear is telling the NetVanta via LLDP regarding its own speed and duplex.

Another option that would possibly provide more information is to set up a port mirror between the 3100 and the Netgear and capture the LLDP traffic between the two.

If you are able to get any debug, I would be more than happy to take a look at it for you.

Thanks,

Noor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Mike,

I marked the question as "assumed answered" because there were no more follow up questions.

Please, do not hesitate to add additional information to this post if necessary.

Thanks,

Noor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

As an update, in R10.11.0 AOS, a switchport command was added that allows an AOS switch the ability to ignore these LLDP speed-duplex mismatch messages.  If you add the command "no lldp receive 802.3-info mac-phy-config" to any applicable switchports, the switch will no longer log every LLDP update indicating a mismatch as an event in the event-history.