cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fordman
New Contributor II

Using Net Vanta 3200 to bond 2 T1s while Bridging

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,,,I have 2 third generation NetVanata 3200 in service at this time.   Basically they are bridging a remote site via T1 to switch at the home site which is linked to a internet router.  On the remote side, the NetVanta is connected directly to an ISA firewall box.  The circut is used to provide internet access to the remote site, which supports it's own public IP address.  It worked great, but now I need to expand the band width to the remote site by providing another T1 and bond the 2 together.  I purchased the dual T1/FT1 NIMS for the job.  My question is this,  Once I install the NIMS, do I just add the interface to the Bridge that should be there already?  I have looked everywhere for samples or configuration guides with no luck.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Using Net Vanta 3200 to bond 2 T1s while Bridging

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community, as well as attaching the configurations.  Since, you have a point-to-point T1 and bridging already configured, adding the second T1 to the PPP and bridge-group will only require minimal configuration changes.  The additions you should have to make are as follows:

• Power down the unit and swap the T1 NIM for the Dual T1 NIM
  • Configure the new T1 port (1/2) for all 24 channels for data

interface t1 1/2

tdm-group 1 timeslots 1-24 speed 64

no shutdown

• Add the cross-connect to the PPP interface

interface ppp 1

cross-connect 2 t1 1/2 1 ppp 1

• Configure the PPP interface for multilink

interface ppp 1

ppp multilink

Therefore, when you have completed these steps, this portion of the configuration should like similar to the following:

bridge irb

!

bridge 2 protocol ieee

!

interface eth 0/1

description BodyShop

bridge-group 2

no ip address

no shutdown

!

interface t1 1/1

no shutdown

!

interface t1 1/2

no shutdown

!

interface bvi 2

description BVI 2

mac-address 00:00:00:00:21:B5

ip address  168.215.165.130  255.255.255.240

ip mtu 1500

no shutdown

!

interface ppp 1

bridge-group 2

no fair-queue

ppp mtu 1524

ppp multilink

no shutdown

cross-connect 1 t1 1/1 1 ppp 1

cross-connect 2 t1 1/1 1 ppp 1

For additional reference and questions, here is the Configuring Integrated Routing and Bridging in AOS and the Configuring PPP in AOS guides.  Further, here is a previous post on configuring MLPPP:  Re: Bonding multiple T1 in Adtran 3305 with additional NIM

I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to reply to this post with any additional information or questions.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community, as well as attaching the configurations.  Since, you have a point-to-point T1 and bridging already configured, adding the second T1 to the PPP and bridge-group will only require minimal configuration changes.  The additions you should have to make are as follows:

• Power down the unit and swap the T1 NIM for the Dual T1 NIM
  • Configure the new T1 port (1/2) for all 24 channels for data

interface t1 1/2

no shutdown

• Add the cross-connect to the PPP interface

interface ppp 1

cross-connect 2 t1 1/2 1 ppp 1

• Configure the PPP interface for multilink

interface ppp 1

ppp multilink

Therefore, when you have completed these steps, this portion of the configuration should like similar to the following:

bridge irb

!

bridge 2 protocol ieee

!

interface eth 0/1

description BodyShop

bridge-group 2

no ip address

no shutdown

!

interface t1 1/1

no shutdown

!

interface t1 1/2

no shutdown

!

interface bvi 2

description BVI 2

mac-address 00:00:00:00:21:B5

ip address  168.215.165.130  255.255.255.240

ip mtu 1500

no shutdown

!

interface ppp 1

bridge-group 2

no fair-queue

ppp mtu 1524

ppp multilink

no shutdown

cross-connect 1 t1 1/1 1 ppp 1

cross-connect 2 t1 1/1 1 ppp 1

For additional reference and questions, here is the Configuring Integrated Routing and Bridging in AOS and the Configuring PPP in AOS guides.  Further, here is a previous post on configuring MLPPP:  Re: Bonding multiple T1 in Adtran 3305 with additional NIM

I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to reply to this post with any additional information or questions.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

0 Kudos
fordman
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Levi,

First, I want to thank you for your help.  I changed the config as you suggested and still had problems.  After looking over everything several times, it dawned on me that the T1 circut had a problem.  I was green one the remote side, but red,yellow, and blue on the home side.  The remote should have had a amber warning but it wasn't there.  After some diagnostics, it came apparent that the T1 had a problem on the remote site.  Lesson learned, just because it's a new circut and supposedly tested out, don't over look it as the problem source.  Again, I appreciate your help Levi.

Ford man

fordman
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Levi,

I now have 2 good T1s and showing green on both 3200s.  When I look at the stats for each T1, they look good with out errors. But, when I run a internet speed test, it still only shows 1500 k speed.  I ran the band width test  an hour later and now I have 3 megs.  thanks for your help..

Ford man