cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

internet bottleneck

Jump to solution

We currently have a 7MB down/768k up Road Runner service connecting to an Adtran 3305.  It seems to be creating an extreme bottleneck.  When plugged directly into our cable modem I'm getting around 6.75 MB down and 700's kbps up.   When plugged into the router and running a speed test sometimes I'm topping out at under 2MB down.  Webpages load ok most of the time, but downloads are extremely painful even after hours when there are less users on the network.  I've checked for viruses, etc and things seem clean.  When downloading it often just stops and I have to cancel and restart the download several times to get it to complete. Websites that I can download at 800 k/sec when plugged into modem directly drop to under 100k/sec through the router.  Any ideas what could be causing this much of a bottleneck?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: internet bottleneck

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for replying with the information.  I did not see the output from the show interface command.  Can you verify what the speed/duplex settings are negotiated to for both of the Ethernet interfaces? 

Here is a post that answers many of your questions:  https://supportforums.adtran.com/message/2194#2194

Summary for throughput issues:

• I would recommend upgrading to the latest firmware on the ADTRAN unit.
  • Verify the speed/duplex is setup correctly between the all interfaces on the ADTRAN.
  • Issue the ip ffe command on all interfaces.
  • Disable LLDP with the no lldp send-and-receive command.

Furthermore, specially for your configuration, I would recommend changing the cable that is connected to Ethernet 0/1 since it has a high number of errors.

I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to reply to this post with any additional questions or information.

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

- Thanks for posting your question on the forum! There are several reasons you are seeing a drop in performance when going through the NetVanta 3305, however, I need some additional information to help you further.

1. Could you reply to this post with the NetVanta 3305's current configuration? Please remember to remove any information that may be sensitive to your network.

2. Please also provide the output to "show interface" from the CLI or the interface statistics from the GUI of the ethernet ports in use on the NetVanta 3305.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Noor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Noor, here is the complete config.  I swapped out actual IP addresses with placeholders PUBLIC IP 1, etc.  There are a couple entries I marked that I'm not sure how to eliminate.  They are from the original configuration when a 3rd party installed and configured this router.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Here are the interface statistics:

Interface eth 0/2 (INTERNET):

MTU:1500

Input:  0 Input errors, 0 discards, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 no buffer, 0 overruns, 0 internal rx errors, 0 alignment errors, 0 CRC errors

Output: 0 Output errors, 0 deferred, 0 discards, 0 single collisions, 0 multiple collisions, 0 late collisions, 0 excessive collisions, 0 underruns, 0 internal tx errors, 0 carrier sense errors, 0 resets, 0 throttles.

ethernet 0/1 (VLAN TRUNK)

input:  236 input errors, 1 symbol error, 12592428 giants, 1 no buffer, 17 overruns, 1 crc error

output: 0's across the board.

Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for replying with the information.  I did not see the output from the show interface command.  Can you verify what the speed/duplex settings are negotiated to for both of the Ethernet interfaces? 

Here is a post that answers many of your questions:  https://supportforums.adtran.com/message/2194#2194

Summary for throughput issues:

• I would recommend upgrading to the latest firmware on the ADTRAN unit.
  • Verify the speed/duplex is setup correctly between the all interfaces on the ADTRAN.
  • Issue the ip ffe command on all interfaces.
  • Disable LLDP with the no lldp send-and-receive command.

Furthermore, specially for your configuration, I would recommend changing the cable that is connected to Ethernet 0/1 since it has a high number of errors.

I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to reply to this post with any additional questions or information.

Levi

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I will have to try telnet to check interfaces.  All my configuration experience on this box has been through the web GUI.   Should LLDP be disabled on both ethernet interfaces or just 1 of them?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Here is the show interfaces info:

ARAwells3305>show int eth 0/1

eth 0/1 is UP, line protocol is UP

Hardware address is

Running 802.1Q Encapsulation

100Mb/s, negotiated full-duplex, configured full-duplex

5 minute input rate 96128 bits/sec, 35 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 115432 bits/sec, 33 packets/sec

Queueing method: fifo

Output queue: 0/256/0 (size/max total/drops)

Interface Shaper: NOT ENABLED

53233335 packets input, 2464854905 bytes

52333873 unicasts, 899462 broadcasts, 0 multicasts input

0 unknown protocol, 1 symbol errors, 0 discards

236 input errors, 0 runts, 12609228 giants

1 no buffer, 17 overruns, 0 internal receive errors

0 alignment errors, 1 crc errors

56726438 packets output, 1944001516 bytes

0 unicasts, 0 broadcasts, 0 multicasts output

0 output errors, 0 deferred, 0 discards

0 single, 0 multiple, 0 late collisions

0 excessive collisions, 0 underruns

0 internal transmit errors, 0 carrier sense errors

0 resets, 0 throttles

eth 0/1.1 is UP, line protocol is UP

Vlan Id is 1 Native

Description: Wellsville

Ip address is                    , netmask is

MTU is 1500 bytes

ARP type: ARPA; ARP timeout is 20 minutes

eth 0/1.2 is UP, line protocol is UP

Vlan Id is 200

Description: Warsaw

Ip address is     , netmask is

MTU is 1500 bytes

eth 0/2 is UP, line protocol is UP

Description: Internet

Hardware address is

IP address is , netmask is

MTU is 1500 bytes, BW is 100000 Kbit

100Mb/s, negotiated full-duplex, configured full-duplex

5 minute input rate 24920 bites/sec, 11 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 16120 bites/sec, 10 packets/sec

Queueing method: fifo

Output queue: 0/256/0 (size/max total/drops)

Interface Shaper: NOT ENABLED

19019618 packets input, 2983137965 bytes

19014232 unicasts, 5386 broadcasts, 0 multicasts input

0 unknown protocol, 0 symbol errors, 0 discards

0 input errors, 0 runts, 0 giants

0 no buffer, 0 overruns, 0 internal receive errors

0 alignment errors; 0 crc errors

14639929 packets output, 3270676698 bytes

14616692 unicasts, 573 broadcasts, 22664 multicasts output

0 output errors, 0 deferred, 0 discards

0 single, 0 multiple, 0 late collisions

0 excessive collisions, 0 underruns

0 internal transmit errors, 0 carrier sense errors

0 resets, 0 throttles

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Levi,

I read about issues you can have by having 2 ports configured differently (1 set to auto and another set static to 100M/Full, etc).  My Eth 0/1 was configured for 100 Full but the other end at the switch was set to auto.  I turned auto off, set it to 100 Full and after that point the eth 0/1 port would only negotiate to 100 Half.  I had to leave auto negotiate on and tell it to limit its advertised speed to 100 Full only to get 100 Full connection at the Adtran.   Have you heard of this kind of issue before?  I have not had a chance to install newest firmware or replace that wire yet, so those could be behind it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for replying with the requested information.  You will need to upgrade the firmware, disable LLDP, change the cable, and make sure both side's speed/duplex match.  They either need to be hardset for speed 100/full duplex on both sides, or both sides need to be configured for auto-negotiate.  As long as they match on both sides, it doesn't matter if they are both hardset or set for auto.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Just swapping the cable made a huge difference.  I shut off LLDP and did the ip ffe on all the interfaces.  I did notice though after updating to the latest firmware (R10.3.1.E) the GUI seems sluggish and when clicking on some links I get an error message (Error getting menu: SyntaxError: Unexpected token).  Usually the screen refreshes and the page then loads correctly.  Other times I have to refresh the screen manually.

Previously speedtest.net I was averaging about 2 Mbps download and the test I just ran now I got 7.03 Mbps. Granted there is almost no other traffic on the network, but I wasn't getting those speeds before.  I'm anxious to see the workday results.

Thanks for all your help.