cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Frame-Relay Setup to pass WAN to customer Firewall

Jump to solution

Hello All, I have a setup that I am struggling with a little bit. Verizon did not provide T1 equipment for a 2x Frame-Relay T1, so I'm configuring an Adtran for my client, but a little confused how to avoid a double NAT since I do not want to use the 3430 as a firewall. I want the customer's equipment to handle all firewall and NAT.

Here's the scenario:

Verizon has provided me a /30 IP for the Frame-Relay Circuit, as well as a "LAN" set of public IP addresses of /30 as well.

Of course, the first /30 Frame-Relay set of IPs is easy and my 0.0.0.0 route will go to the fr interface.

However, the /30 for the "LAN" gives me only 1 "public" IP address for my eth 0/1 interface since the other usable IP is Verizon's default gateway ip for the LAN subnet. I then have no public IP to assign to my customer's firewall.

Do I need to fix this by simply getting a bigger block from the provider, or is there a way to "bridge" this connection? My SE mentioned SBC, but I'm not very familiar with SBC and all the config guides I found really only have to do with VoIP and this is a data only configuration.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Frame-Relay Setup to pass WAN to customer Firewall

Jump to solution

It is odd for a service provider not to provide a router for T1 termination if you are also getting IP space from them.  But if you are using an Adtran 3430, then you have a T1 interface and 2 Ethernet interfaces.  You should configure your frame relay T1 interface and assign the first /30 to that (likely x.x.x.2 with x.x.x.1 being the default gateway) and then configure your LAN interface similarly with the additional /30 (y.y.y.1 on the LAN interface, with y.y.y.2 for your customer firewall).  Customer firewall should use y.y.y.1 as its default gateway.

Basically, both /30's aren't configured in Verizon's core. They are very likely configured to use the first /30 as the routed PTP IPs with the second /30 routed in their core to the far end IP built on your router from the first /30.  The entire /30 #2 will basically live on your router, so configure your LAN interface and firewall to use these IPs and your should be good to go.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

It is odd for a service provider not to provide a router for T1 termination if you are also getting IP space from them.  But if you are using an Adtran 3430, then you have a T1 interface and 2 Ethernet interfaces.  You should configure your frame relay T1 interface and assign the first /30 to that (likely x.x.x.2 with x.x.x.1 being the default gateway) and then configure your LAN interface similarly with the additional /30 (y.y.y.1 on the LAN interface, with y.y.y.2 for your customer firewall).  Customer firewall should use y.y.y.1 as its default gateway.

Basically, both /30's aren't configured in Verizon's core. They are very likely configured to use the first /30 as the routed PTP IPs with the second /30 routed in their core to the far end IP built on your router from the first /30.  The entire /30 #2 will basically live on your router, so configure your LAN interface and firewall to use these IPs and your should be good to go.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

That's exactly what I was thinking and turns out that the Verizon tech was telling me WRONG that I couldn't use the second /30 for my eth interface and the firewall. Thanks for confirming that for me! I spoke to an engineer today who cleared it up for me further. Thanks Verizon for sending me on a wild goose chase!

Y.Y.Y.1 is the frame-relay /30

X.X.X.1 is the eth /30

Customer firewall would have X.X.X.2 with gateway of X.X.X.1

Adtran 3430 MLFR 2xT1

!

!

!

hostname Verizon_Frame_Relay

enable password adtran

!

!

ip subnet-zero