cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: GRE tunnel flapping -

You are right -- the edge router this tunnel goes to is terminating 29 other BGP tunnels.  I only got full access to the router yesterday -- And when I said that end router to end router pings stay up even when the tunnel goes down - I have relied on others to tell me that -- and I think I got it right

The tunnel drops only last for 30 seconds -- never when we are watching --

I turned console logging to serial console port on and set it to verbose -- but it only sends banners and logins to my file --  There has to be a way that I have not found yet for this thing to tell me more

Highlighted
New Contributor

What are consequences of sending no keepalives?

Highlighted
New Contributor

I was unable to find what the tunnel # is on the Adtran

I did run debug bgp -- If I run it on the console port I get the results I have above -- they are consistently 15 sec apart

If I run from a telnet session I get

debug BGP

#

2015.09.03 11:12:34 BGP.KPA VRF: -DEFAULT- x.x.x.x[109]: Sending KeepAlive

2015.09.03 11:12:34 BGP.KPA VRF: -DEFAULT- x.x.x.x[109]: Transmitting msg, type=KEEPALIVE, len=19

2015.09.03 11:12:38 BGP.KPA VRF: -DEFAULT- x.x,x,x[109]: Received KeepAlive$

BGP.KPA VRF: -DEFAULT- x.x.x.x[109]: Sending KeepAlive

This circuit is delivered as 10Mb ethernet

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Your GRE tunnel will stay up all the time, at least from a router interface point of view.  It will only go down if the source interface IP is removed from that source interface or if the source interface goes down (cable unplugged, admin shut).

Highlighted
New Contributor

so in this context, keepalives are more imnotdeads with the presumption that you are dead if I don't hear you x # of times in a row. That is interesting

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Something like that, yes.  One main reason for it is so that the router can treat a GRE interface like a physical interface, and it will stop forwarding traffic over the interface because when it goes down, the GRE interfaces subnet is removed from the primary routing table as well as any routes pointing to an IP in that subnet.