cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

I gig fiber connections on WAN (eth ports) on adtran products.

All,

Is there any talk about upping the physical port speed of eth 01-02 from 10/100 to 1000.

We have google fiber in the area and Time Warner fiber that can push up/down 1gig connection on the wan side.

Or maybe creating another NIM with this capability for the multi-service routers. Losing sales opportunities.

I have one client that has a 3448 now and is waiting for the google fiber to be installed in the next to 8 months onsite.

Clients will go nuts if they find out they invested in a product that could not support this.

thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I gig fiber connections on WAN (eth ports) on adtran products.

stanoc:

When a device isn't capable of doing more than 100Mbps, there's no point in putting a 1000Mbps interface on it.

Take for example the 3448 you referenced. Since that unit isn't capable of running more than roughly 60Mbps (depending on the type of load and settings), then putting a 1Gbps interface in the unit would add cost for no purpose - it would never go that fast. Even the 4430, which is our current top of the line router, isn't recommended for more than 250Mbps (again, depending on load type and device programming), but that unit has GigE interfaces since there would be no way to service 250Mbps without one.

Regards,

Ronnie Colvin

Adtran Applications Engineering

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ronnie,

Do you know if Adtran will develop a product that can support the bandwidth requirements that google can push out of their equipment 1 gig up/down on the wan side?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

stanoc:

I'm afraid that kind of speculation is a bit above my pay grade   I can tell you that the current product roadmap that I'm aware of does not yet include anything faster than the 4430 at present.

Regards,

Ronnie Colvin

Adtran Applications Engineering