cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gregbailey
New Contributor

IPv6 over T1 (HDLC) using NetVanta 3430

Jump to solution

Our ISP routes our IPv4 class C over our T1 circuit with HDLC encapsulation.  Recently ISP was asked to route, in addition, our newly acquired IPv6 /48 and claims to have finished the job.  Ha.  This led to my reading the "Configuring IPv6 in AOS" document wherein I found that all they had done was to address an unused (and admin downed) Ethernet interface:  eth 0/2 2620:7B:4000::1/48

I went ahead and cabled that Ethernet interface to our LAN and administratively enabled it.  The other systems on the LAN can now see the 3430 via neighbor discovery and it is in fact advertising that net and address, and advertising itself by ND as a router, on the LAN.

However the ISP had apparently done nothing to enable moving IPv6 over the T1 circuit.  My other systems think the 3430 is the default router for ::/0 but when they send it a packet trace shows the 3430 is in a loop (repeated traces at its LAN address as shown above.)

The ISP told me it was unnecessary to provide a subnet for the point to point HDLC link so I tried doing what page 17 of the aforementioned document implied I should do (by analogy to PPP):

ATHPR-908CHEYE-WY-I>enable
Password:
ATHPR-908CHEYE-WY-I#configure
Configuring from terminal, memory, or network? [terminal]
ATHPR-908CHEYE-WY-I(config)#ipv6 unicast-routing

ATHPR-908CHEYE-WY-I(config)#ipv6 route ::/0 hdlc 1
%-------------------------------------------^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

ATHPR-908CHEYE-WY-I(config)#ipv6 route ::/0 t1 1/1
%-------------------------------------------^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Not very pleasing.  Previously I had tried enabling IPv6 over the T1 circuit with no luck:

ATHPR-908CHEYE-WY-I(config)#interface hdlc 1

ATHPR-908CHEYE-WY-I(config-hdlc 1)#ipv6

% Invalid or incomplete command

ATHPR-908CHEYE-WY-I(config-hdlc 1)#ipv6 address autoconfig

% Unrecognized command

ATHPR-908CHEYE-WY-I(config-hdlc 1)#exit

ATHPR-908CHEYE-WY-I(config)#interface t1 1/1

ATHPR-908CHEYE-WY-I(config-t1 1/1)#ipv6

% Invalid or incomplete command

ATHPR-908CHEYE-WY-I(config-t1 1/1)#ipv6 address autoconfig

% Unrecognized command

What am I overlooking???  ... Thanks in advance!

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: IPv6 over T1 (HDLC) using NetVanta 3430

Jump to solution

gregbailey:

Thank you for posting this question to the support community forum!

Unfortunately, at the time of this post, AOS does not support IPv6 over HDLC links.  The AOS Feature Matrix - Product Feature Matrix lists which features support IPv4/IPv6.  Please, do not hesitate to reply to this post with any additional questions.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

gregbailey:

Thank you for posting this question to the support community forum!

Unfortunately, at the time of this post, AOS does not support IPv6 over HDLC links.  The AOS Feature Matrix - Product Feature Matrix lists which features support IPv4/IPv6.  Please, do not hesitate to reply to this post with any additional questions.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks much for explanation, Levi.