cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

NetVanta 3448 and MPLS

First let me start by saying that I'm very new to this level of networking, so keep that in mind if my questions seem elementary to you. We had someone setup these routers who has since moved out of state and no longer wants to help us, so this is in my lap now. Anyway we currently have a dsl connection with AT&T at two locations (we will be adding four more locations), the NetVanta 3448 routers have a VPN connecting them to each other and each one has two VLANs, one private connecting the two location across the VPN  and one public for internet access at each location. We are switching from AT&T to Earthlink for our data connection and getting a new company wide phone system. Earthlink tells me that we are getting an MPLS system and that they will be providing a private ip address to me at each location. I've studied the configs and talked with Evan at Adtran and had configs pretty much ready to go, but using public static ip addresses to point each router toward the other. Since I'll be getting private ip addresses I'm not sure where to go. Would I use the private ip address from Earthlink in place of the public one that I was expecting? Would this still provide us a private and a public vlan?

Thanks for any help and pointers,

Greg

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NetVanta 3448 and MPLS

Greg:

Thank you for asking this question in the Support Community.  There are several ways you can achieve this, but it depends how the ISP has the network designed.  Do you have any additional information from the ISP about how the network should be setup? 

Do you know if the ISP is going to ask that the ADTRANs use a routing protocol for communication between sites? 

Does only one of the locations have an Internet connection and MPLS connection, or do all the locations have both MPLS and Internet?

Again, it depends on how the MPLS network is going to be setup, but in a general sense, most likely, you will replace the public static IP addresses with the private addresses the ISP provided you for each location.

If you reply with any additional information, I will be happy to assist you in any way I can.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

No additional information at the moment. I have a call into our contact with Earthlink to find out specifics. All six locations will be connected via MPLS and we were told that we would still be able to have our public and private vlans.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Greg:

As soon as you get the information from the ISP, please feel free to let us know how we can assist you.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Greg,

I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor