cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bjab
New Contributor

Netvanta 3448 setup

I need help setting up NetVanta 3448.  I have two ISP’s address. (WAN#1:xxx.xxx.xxx.123-255: 255.255224 & WAN#2 xxx.xxx.xxx.124-255.255.255.224 & gate way xxx.xxx.xxx.160) sourced from a cable modem going to E/1. I have setup two VLANS and would like to rout them as VLAN1 to WAN#1 and VLAN2 to LAN2.  VLAN1 has a NetVanta 1234 serving a LAN server and VOIP phones and is connected to PORT 4 of the 3448.  VLAN2 has a Netgear FS728GP switch connects to PORT 8 of the 3448 and should go to WAN#2. VLAN2 is for video surveillance and has a server that needs ports open to the WAN#2. Both WANs need VPN access from the same 5 mobile users. Both VLANS have wireless routers on the network with DHCP enabled for 15 users. VLAN 1 has five printers.  Both LANs have all fxed users with static address.  I have both GUI and CP access to the 3448 but feel more comfortable with GUI. QOS can give low prority to video.

Thank you,

Brock

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Netvanta 3448 setup

Brock:

Thank you for attaching the potential network diagram, but there is still a vast amount of information required before someone can assist you with your setup.  I attempted to segment your paragraph into separate areas/topics for clarification.  I have asked questions in an attempt to obtain information from you that will be beneficial for someone to assist you in the future:

1.  I have two ISP’s address. (WAN#1:xxx.xxx.xxx.123-255: 255.255224 & WAN#2 xxx.xxx.xxx.124-255.255.255.224 & gate way xxx.xxx.xxx.160) sourced from a cable modem going to E/1.  I have setup two VLANS and would like to rout them as VLAN1 to WAN#1 and VLAN2 to LAN2.

Questions:  Do you have two public subnets, or only two public IP addresses?  The WAN1, WAN2, and gateway example addresses you provided do not fit together as you have described them.  Will the ADTRAN unit be acting as a firewall and NATing the LAN/VLAN traffic or will every device have a unique public IP address?

2.  VLAN1 has a NetVanta 1234 serving a LAN server and VOIP phones and is connected to PORT 4 of the 3448. 

Questions:  Is the NetVanta 1234 acting as a Layer 2 switch?  I'm not familiar with referring to the switch as a "LAN server," can you expand on this?  How do the VoIP phones interact with the rest of the network?  Where will the phones register?  Will the phones have private IP addresses or public?  Will there be a DHCP server for the phones?  What will be the DHCP server?

3.  VLAN2 has a Netgear FS728GP switch connects to PORT 8 of the 3448 and should go to WAN#2. VLAN2 is for video surveillance and has a server that needs ports open to the WAN#2.

Questions:  Does the server have a public or private IP address?  If it has a private IP address, which public IP address will be associated with it in the port forward?  Will the cameras obtain their IP addresses via DHCP?  What will be the DHCP server?

4.  Both WANs need VPN access from the same 5 mobile users.

Questions:  What device will be terminating the VPNs?  Will you please expand on this topic and provide additional information on what/how/where the mobile users will be connecting to?

5.  Both VLANS have wireless routers on the network with DHCP enabled for 15 users. VLAN 1 has five printers.  Both LANs have all fxed users with static address. QOS can give low prority to video.

Questions:  Are the wireless routers providing private IP addresses via DHCP?  Are the addresses distributed by the wireless routers in a different subnet than "VLAN 1" and "VLAN 2?"  Can you please expand on what you mean by "QoS can give low priority to video?"  Low priority typically means "less preferred."  This is the first time you mentioned QoS.  What devices need QoS and to what extent?

I suggest you attempt to answer these questions with as much detail as possible so someone will be able to assist you with your network application setup.

Levi

bjab
New Contributor

Hi Levi,

Thank you for taking the time to look at my setup and detailing all these questions. I have proven the Peter Principle to be correct. I look forward to you reply and more questions.

Best Regards,

Brock

Anonymous
Not applicable

:

Is there any additional information you can provide about the sample configuration you provided for the NetVanta 3120 and how it relates to your application and installation of the NetVanta 3448?  When you get a chance, will you answer some of the questions I asked previously?  Also, if you would like to talk with ADTRAN about possibly doing this installation for you, you can contact ADTRAN ProCare at 888-874-2237.

Levi

bjab
New Contributor

I sent this by email, Also the N3220 was provided by jive.com as a guide only, to my setup.

1. 1.  I have two ISP’s address. (WAN#1:xxx.xxx.xxx.123-255: 255.255224 & WAN#2 xxx.xxx.xxx.124-255.255.255.224 & gate way xxx.xxx.xxx.160) sourced from a cable modem going to E/1.  I have setup two VLANS and would like to rout them as VLAN1 to WAN#1 and VLAN2 to LAN2. 

Questions: Do you have two public subnets, or only two public IP addresses?  The WAN1, WAN2, and gateway example addresses you provided do not fit together as you have described them.  Will the ADTRAN unit be acting as a firewall and NATing the LAN/VLAN traffic or will every device have a unique public IP address?

We have two public address and one subnet address. The subnet address is 255.255.255.224 .  We will be using the N3448 as a firewall and to provide NAT. There are no other public address on the local network.

1. 2.  VLAN1 has a NetVanta 1234 serving a LAN server and VOIP phones and is connected to PORT 4 of the 3448. 

Questions: Is the NetVanta 1234 acting as a Layer 2 switch?  I'm not familiar with referring to the switch as a "LAN server," can you expand on this?  How do the VoIP phones interact with the rest of the network? Where will the phones register?  Will the phones have private IP addresses or public?  Will there be a DHCP server for the phones?  What will be the DHCP server?

Yes the N1234 is acting as a layer 2 switch. I miss spoke as there is are two servers on this LAN one dedicated to fax line and the other domain controller and for  files and accounting. The VOIP has yet to be installed as this is the reason for the network hardware  changes. We plan to have all phones with static address. The phones  will be registered to jive.com I am attaching their setup for the N3120 for reference. We have a wireless router on this LAN that is setup as a DHCP server limited to 15 users.

1. 3.  VLAN2 has a Netgear FS728GP switch connects to PORT 8 of the 3448 and should go to WAN#2. VLAN2 is for video surveillance and has a server that needs ports open to the WAN#2.

Questions: Does the server have a public or private IP address?  If it has a private IP address, which public IP address will be associated with it in the port forward?  Will the cameras obtain their IP addresses via DHCP?  What will be the DHCP server? 

This server has a private static address. It will be routed to the public WAN2 address.  All cameras have static address. On this LAN there is a wireless router that is setup as a DHCP server limited to 15 users.

1. 4.  Both WANs need VPN access from the same 5 mobile users.

Questions: What device will be terminating the VPNs?  Will you please expand on this topic and provide additional information on what/how/where the mobile users will be connecting to? 

For VLAN1-Vpn access to the  domain.  Vpn access to the LAN and then remote desktop access to various work stations and servers.

For VLAN2 Vpn access to the LAN and then remote desktop access to various work stations and server.

1. 5.  Both VLANS have wireless routers on the network with DHCP enabled for 15 users. VLAN 1 has five printers.  Both LANs have all fxed users with static address. QOS can give low prority to video.

Questions: Are the wireless routers providing private IP addresses via DHCP?  Are the addresses distributed by the wireless routers in a different subnet than "VLAN 1" and "VLAN 2?"  Can you please expand on what you mean by "QoS can give low priority to video?"  Low priority typically means "less preferred."  This is the first time you mentioned QoS.  What devices need QoS and to what extent?

Yes each can assign up to 15 private address. No each VLAN has one subnet address. The total access bandwidth is limited by the ISP COX and is shared on the two public IP address. The first priority is to the VOIP system. Then the accounting system running on the server as a service. The third priority would be internet access from workstations and server on LAN1, printing and video would be the last.

Anonymous
Not applicable

- Do you need any further assistance regarding this post? Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions and we will be happy to help. Thanks.

Thanks,

Noor

bjab
New Contributor

Noor.

Thank you for taking the time to check. I am now back on this project and have set up the 3448 to have 3 Vlans ( default + two local lans) to two WEB address from the cox modem. After I verify this is working I will have questions about configuring firewall and QOS, I will also have to install the VPN software on the 3448 and set up 5 Clients. I will be in touch.

Best Regards,

Brock

Anonymous
Not applicable

-

I went ahead and flagged this post as "Assumed Answered". If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as Correct or Helpful as the case may be with the applicable buttons. This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you have any additional information on this that others may benefit from, please come back to this post to provide an update. If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor