cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nativepdx
New Contributor II

QOS map for clients on a vlan

Jump to solution

Wondering if I should be able to create a QOS map that sets a rate limit for each client on a particular vlan. The idea is to prevent any one user from grabbing all the available bandwidth.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: QOS map for clients on a vlan

Jump to solution

Mark,

With the AOS product you have, I would suggest grouping your users and applying a QoS policy for those users accordingly. For example, you could have users grouped as the following: Guests, Management, Executive Guests. For each of these groups, you could specify how much bandwidth they would be allowed to use and this would prevent one group or user from grabbing all of the available bandwidth.

It may be possible that the NetVanta UTM product can provide the functionality you are looking for. However, I would suggest you contact Adtran's Application Engineers and run the application by them. You can contact them in several ways:

1. Create a webticket at the following link: Create a Service Request

2. Email support@adtran.com

3. Call 1-888-4ADTRAN

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Noor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

- I need some more information before I can provide any suggestions regarding how to set this up.

1. How many clients are you wanting to set this up for?

2. Could you provide a configuration for us to look at? (Please remember to edit any information that may be sensitive to your network)

Based on your description, you may find the 'multi-tenant' config example helpful (Example #4). This example can be found in the following document:

Configuring QoS in AOS

This will give you the ability to limit the rate of outbound traffic for each client. However, you face a limitation as to how many shapers you can configure. The limit currently is 5 per QoS map.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Noor

nativepdx
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Noor,

this is a hotel.  what were trying to do is rate limit each guest because the available bandwidth is so limited. Certainly more than five concurrent users. this feature is supported on a very low end competitors router that were trying to replace.

mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Mark,

With the AOS product you have, I would suggest grouping your users and applying a QoS policy for those users accordingly. For example, you could have users grouped as the following: Guests, Management, Executive Guests. For each of these groups, you could specify how much bandwidth they would be allowed to use and this would prevent one group or user from grabbing all of the available bandwidth.

It may be possible that the NetVanta UTM product can provide the functionality you are looking for. However, I would suggest you contact Adtran's Application Engineers and run the application by them. You can contact them in several ways:

1. Create a webticket at the following link: Create a Service Request

2. Email support@adtran.com

3. Call 1-888-4ADTRAN

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Noor

0 Kudos
nativepdx
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Noor,

I don’t thinking grouping would help. The idea is to restrict a single guest from being able to confiscate all available bandwidth. If I understand your approach I could create a group labeled “guests” and limit the bandwidth to the group as a whole. But any one individual in the group would still be able to grab all the bandwidth assigned to the group.

I will open a new ticket and ask for application engineering support

Thanks, as always your help is much appreciated

mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

-

I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.

Noor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor