cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
torrie
New Contributor

Remote Location issues

Jump to solution

First off, I will provide as much information as I possibly can until I get back to the office on Monday Morning. Second, I opened a ticket with Adtran on Friday. They were unable to get to my call at the end of business. I have been with my company for two weeks now, and I was asked to look into an issue we are having with our Remote Location.

This was setup July of 2012.

Friday was the first time I was able to look into this problem.

Firmware on both was

18.03.01.00    Dated     1/6/12

I downloaded the latest firmware version R10.5.1 which was released 2/1/13

I did not get the Boot Rom Version, as I was waiting for Adtran to call me back in regards to my open ticket.

Central Location and Remote Location are both using T1 1.5 Both are using NetVanta 3430's. For Data/VOIP

Central Location's Circuit is handled by ATT. Remote Location's circuit is provided by ATT, but is our issue to deal with.

Latency between Central to Remote is at a steady 12ms with no variation. Latency between Remote to Central is steady at 4ms with various spikes in latency jumping up to 20ms and bounces until it gets back to 4ms.

According to one of the emails that my boss had passed down to me from one of the Remote Location users it states:

Some weeks we lose connection to the server as often as two of three times a week. The phones and internet will still work, but no access to the server or email. Other than that there are still the same issues in regards how long it takes to open up a file, or work on programs we use through the internet *I have omitted naming the programs*.

I also was handed down another email on Friday, this time from Central Location. "I just tried to call the Remote location and I can hear them, but they can not hear me." This is the same problem we were talking about a couple of weeks ago. I have called several different people at the remote location over the past month and had the same result.

The circuit at the Remote Location went down Monday 2/4/13, ATT was dispatched and the circuit was down again 30 minutes later. Tuesday 2/5/13 ATT went back out and corrected the issue.

We are trying to determine if it is an issue with their bandwidth being 1.5, and if bandwidth should be upgraded. In my opinion I believe the bandwidth should be upgraded. My boss asked if I thought 3mbps would be sufficient enough. Ultimately the company wants a cost effective solution. I do not believe that 1.5 is enough. Also, I was thinking about setting up a clone server at the remote location.

I will be able to provide more information, config files etc on Monday.

Much Appreciation

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Remote Location issues

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for replying with the requested information.  First, you will need to change one of the unit's T1 timing, because they currently are both set to internal and this is causing errors on the T1.  I recommend changing the remote unit with the following commands:

configure terminal

interface t1 1/1

clock source line

end

write

Also, I noticed that within the last week there have been various issues with the T1 where has been down several times.  However, this may have been when the service provider was testing (even though it was after the dates you mentioned above).  Finally, there are drops on the HDLC interface, which typically means the bandwidth on the T1 was saturated, and the QoS policy was forced to drop packets (voice traffic).  So, it may be that you need to increase the priority of the voice traffic from 400 kbps to a higher speed.

I hope that makes sense, but let me know what questions you have.

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

- Thanks for posting your question on the forum!

Are the main site and remote site connecting over a point to point T1 circuit, VPN, or MPLS cloud? A good place to start troubleshooting is to review the configurations and "show interface" statistics. I'd be more than happy to review these once you get a chance to post the files to this thread. Please remember to remove any information that may be sensitive to your network. Let me know if you have any questions or issues.

Thanks,

Noor

torrie
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Point to Point T1 circuit 1.5 up/down

I can post the logs to you first thing in the AM.

Office is closed today for Mardi Gras

torrie
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Noor,

Please see attached config file you requested.

Much Appreciation,

Torrie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

In the attachment, I only see the configuration for one unit.  When you get a chance, will you please attach the other unit's configuration, as well as the output from the show interfaces command on both units?

Let me know if you have any questions.  I will be happy to help.

Levi

torrie
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Files as requested

Thanks

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM, levi <adtran@sgaur.hosted.jivesoftware.com

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for replying with the requested information.  First, you will need to change one of the unit's T1 timing, because they currently are both set to internal and this is causing errors on the T1.  I recommend changing the remote unit with the following commands:

configure terminal

interface t1 1/1

clock source line

end

write

Also, I noticed that within the last week there have been various issues with the T1 where has been down several times.  However, this may have been when the service provider was testing (even though it was after the dates you mentioned above).  Finally, there are drops on the HDLC interface, which typically means the bandwidth on the T1 was saturated, and the QoS policy was forced to drop packets (voice traffic).  So, it may be that you need to increase the priority of the voice traffic from 400 kbps to a higher speed.

I hope that makes sense, but let me know what questions you have.

Levi

0 Kudos
torrie
New Contributor

Jump to solution

I have applied the changes you recommended, aside from changing priority of

Voice. The provider recommended 400kbps.

If possible, can I monitor this for a few days before marking as resolved?

Thanks Again

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM, levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Torrie:

Do you have any additional questions on this topic?

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Levi