Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgard
New Contributor

Separate Networks via Adtran and HP Switches

Jump to solution

Hello All,

I'm new to Adtran and trying to figure out what the best method is for the following project I have going on. I've attached a quick diagram that will hopefully help explain what i'm trying to accomplish.

photo (1).JPG

We current have 2x DSL lines coming in, and would like for our VLAN 1 (10.7.54.X) to use the ISP coming from 10.7.54.1 (firewall). However, I would like to allow that network to talk to the 10.7.60.X network as well (only use server,shared resources, etc NOT INTERNET).

Group 1

Firewall 10.7.54.1

iPrism Content filtering 10.7.54.2

Adtran 10.7.54.3 (DHCP Scope 10.7.54.x, 10.8.54.X)

VLAN 1 10.7.54.X

VLAN 2 10.8.54.X

note: the default gateway is set back to the Adtran on the SCOPE

Group 2

Firewall 10.7.60.1

iPrism Content filtering 10.7.60.2

Adtran 10.7.54.3 (DHCP Scope 10.7.54.x, 10.8.54.X)

VLAN 1 10.7.60.X

VLAN 2 10.8.60.X

Much help is highly appreciated......also I had the following questions:

1. How do I configure the WAN-T1 port for a dynamic DSL line?

2. Could there be a possible issue using the same VLAN id tags when going from the Adtran back to the HP 5406?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Separate Networks via Adtran and HP Switches

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for replying with the ADTRAN configuration.  Is the diagram you attached previously correct?  I'm not sure where Ethernet 0/2 comes into the design?  On the ADTRAN unit, if you would like VLAN 1 to communicate with the 10.7.60.x network, then you will simply need to add a route to that network, pointing to the next hop of the layer 3 HP switch (as well as the corresponding route back in the HP).  In the ADTRAN, this route would look similar to the following:  ip route 10.7.60.0 255.255.255.0 <next hop ip address>.

For additional information in Internet access configurations, the following post may be helpful: 

Please, let me know what additional questions you have. 

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  If I understand the application and design you have described, then it should work without any issues.  On the ADTRAN unit, if you would like VLAN 1 to communicate with the 10.7.60.x network, then you will simply need to add a route to that network pointing to the next hop of the layer 3 HP switch (as well as the corresponding route back in the HP).  If you would like to reply with a copy of the current configuration, (please, remember to remove any information that might be sensitive to the organization), I will be happy to review it for you.

You will not be able to configure a WAN-T1 port to connect to a DSL line.  Typically, if the transmission medium is DSL, then you will need a DSL modem to terminate it, and then it will connect via Ethernet to the ADTRAN unit.  Also, I would not recommend having the same VLANs, in the same network, in different subnets.

Please, let me know what questions you have.

Levi

jgard
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Sorry for the delay...for some reason the email notifications hit my junk mail.

Here is the configurations I have for both the hp switches and the Adtran.

Thanks again for your help Levi.

jgard
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Sorry, just a reminder i'm really new. So i'm not sure how to configure the eth0/2 for internet connection via modem (ISP). Do I use dhcp to let it get an ip address from the modem?  I was browsing online, and it seems like the method i'm shooting for is "router on a stick" type of configuration. Hope that helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for replying with the ADTRAN configuration.  Is the diagram you attached previously correct?  I'm not sure where Ethernet 0/2 comes into the design?  On the ADTRAN unit, if you would like VLAN 1 to communicate with the 10.7.60.x network, then you will simply need to add a route to that network, pointing to the next hop of the layer 3 HP switch (as well as the corresponding route back in the HP).  In the ADTRAN, this route would look similar to the following:  ip route 10.7.60.0 255.255.255.0 <next hop ip address>.

For additional information in Internet access configurations, the following post may be helpful: 

Please, let me know what additional questions you have. 

Levi

0 Kudos