cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moulegend
New Contributor III

Switching from T3 to 100 Meg Ethernet Expansion Module Question NetVanta 5305

Jump to solution

Our ISP provider Verizon is switching out our DS3 line next week and replacing it with a dedicated 100 meg Ethernet line.  As you know, we have the NetVanta 5305 which only has the two Lan ports available (Eth 0/1 & Eth 0/2).  While the failover is another story, I had a few thoughts I wanted to run by you. 

My Eth/01 port is dedicated to my encapsulation and internal Lan segmentation, I'm assuming nothing will change with that.  I'll disconnect the DS3/T3 line and then disable that interface.  Once that happens, I'll setup the new information on the Eth/02 port and switch over the IP routing to that port.  Once the information is entered in, I'm assuming I would just have to change my Public Security zone from PPP1 to eth0/2 and everything should remain consistent.  Am I missing anything? 

As for the failover, my plan is to build 2 config files.  If my primary line goes down, I'll physically have to unplug and switch the the connection and then upload the secondary config file.  It's a pain in the butt, but until I have the budget to order new equipment, I'm assuming that's my only option.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Switching from T3 to 100 Meg Ethernet Expansion Module Question NetVanta 5305

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  Based on your description, it appears you have it correct.  You will simply need to transition the configuration from PPP 1 to the Ethernet port, and as you mentioned, this will include the policy-class / security zone, as well as any references in the configuration from PPP 1.  The IP routing will need to be transitioned as well, which will primarily be the default-route statement that is currently pointing to the PPP 1 gateway.  This will need to be changed to the gateway out the Ethernet interface, which will be provided to you by the ISP.

For failover, if you do not have the option of another router, either to act as a secondary connection, or a unit that has more than two Ethernet interfaces, then you can do the option you mentioned.  Another option would be to add a switch and setup 802.1q VLAN sub-interfaces on the ADTRAN unit.

I hope that answers your questions, but please do not hesitate to reply to this post with any additional questions or information.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Switching from T3 to 100 Meg Ethernet Expansion Module Question NetVanta 5305

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  Based on your description, it appears you have it correct.  You will simply need to transition the configuration from PPP 1 to the Ethernet port, and as you mentioned, this will include the policy-class / security zone, as well as any references in the configuration from PPP 1.  The IP routing will need to be transitioned as well, which will primarily be the default-route statement that is currently pointing to the PPP 1 gateway.  This will need to be changed to the gateway out the Ethernet interface, which will be provided to you by the ISP.

For failover, if you do not have the option of another router, either to act as a secondary connection, or a unit that has more than two Ethernet interfaces, then you can do the option you mentioned.  Another option would be to add a switch and setup 802.1q VLAN sub-interfaces on the ADTRAN unit.

I hope that answers your questions, but please do not hesitate to reply to this post with any additional questions or information.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

0 Kudos