cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ninefiveone
New Contributor

Two 5305's w T3 Modules and Transport Only DS3

Jump to solution

What's my best bet to connect two locations with a DS3 that is transport only.  I have layer 3 switches on both ends and would like to use them to route.

What's the simplest config to use the 5305's to just terminate the circuit at both ends?  IRB?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Two 5305's w T3 Modules and Transport Only DS3

Jump to solution

Route where you can, bridge where you must.

You could enable routing on the devices and use a /30 for the serial link, adding static routes or whatever dynamic routing protocol you have on the networks at both ends.

Another possibility would be to use "ip unnumbered ethernet [whatever]" on the serial link and route as appropriate to the interface.

Either of these will give you an IP address on each box for management and monitoring without having to use IRB.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

Route where you can, bridge where you must.

You could enable routing on the devices and use a /30 for the serial link, adding static routes or whatever dynamic routing protocol you have on the networks at both ends.

Another possibility would be to use "ip unnumbered ethernet [whatever]" on the serial link and route as appropriate to the interface.

Either of these will give you an IP address on each box for management and monitoring without having to use IRB.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Levi