cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kerryg9073
New Contributor II

How to move DHCP to a domain contoller but leave the 7100 in place for phones? What is needed to make the phones download their config form the adtran and get the right vlan?

Jump to solution

We got another router, but since wee have Adtran Ip phones, we want to leave the 7100 in place for the phones only. Move DHCP to A Windows domain controller, with the exception of the scope for the phones .20, (allready set up). I have all of the scopes that are on the 7100 on the DHCP server, but when I tested i get an ip address on a pc, but the phones don't find their vlan and the DHCP server on the adtran to pull a valid ip address.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kerryg9073
New Contributor II

Re: How to move DHCP to a domain contoller but leave the 7100 in place for phones? What is needed to make the phones download their config form the adtran and get the right vlan?

Jump to solution

I resoved this. The issue was the 157 option. On the server the option already exist by default, and only allows you to put in the ftp sever name and or ip address. You must, under server options for the server, remove the default 157 option (because you cannot create a cusom option with the same ID). Then create a custom option with the 157 ID with a string value

TftpServers=0.0.0.0,FtpServers=(the ip of the dhcp on the adtran for the vlan your phones are on [as you can see mine are on vlan 20]):/ADTRAN,FtpLogin=polycomftp,FtpPassword=password,Layer2Tagging=True,VlanID=20

Tested this, this morning and all is good. Factory reset the phone and it finds the domain controller/dhcp server on the .180 vlan, the executes the option and resolves the ftp server address and re configures the phone to the proper vlan and downloads all of the config files.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to move DHCP to a domain contoller but leave the 7100 in place for phones? What is needed to make the phones download their config form the adtran and get the right vlan?

Jump to solution

Are your phones plugged directly into the 7100 or are they going into PoE switches that are connected to the 7100?

The easiest configuration is to plug all the phones directly into the 7100 and have them separate from your data network.

If your voice and data are sharing the same network, I can help you set that up, just requires more configuration.

Let me know what your setup looks like.

-Mark

kerryg9073
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

We are pretty spread out, so we have phones at different locations attached to either poe switches or poe's that are then connected to a non poe switch. I have the following options set up on the dhcp server:

066 TftpServers=0.0.0.0,FtpServers=192.168.20.1:/ADTRAN,FtpLogin=********,FtpPassword=********,Layer2Tagging=True,VlanID=20

157 192.x.x.x (the address of the dhcp server on the Adtran for the .20 vlan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Kerry,

Can you answer following questions.

Sorry, is the voice DHCP server on the 7100 or on your Active Directory Domain Controller?

Is your voice VLAN still 2?

What is the 7100 IP on the voice vlan?

I assume this was working before you added the router, did you make any changes on the 7100 like IP configuration?

-Mark

kerryg9073
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Thanks Mark,

The voice DHCP is still on the Adtran 7100

The voice VLAN is 20

The 7100 IP on VLAN 20 is 192.168.20.1

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

ok looks like in your previous post you had option 066 set, the ADTRAN phones use option 157.

Here is what a default DHCP pool looks like:

ip dhcp pool "VoIP_pool"

network 10.10.20.0 255.255.255.0

dns-server 10.10.20.1

netbios-node-type h-node

default-router 10.10.20.1

tftp-server ftp://polycomftp:password@10.10.20.1/Polycom

ntp-server 10.10.20.1

timezone-offset -6:00

option 157 ascii TftpServers=0.0.0.0,FtpServers=10.10.20.1:/ADTRAN,FtpLogin=polycomftp,FtpPassword=password,Layer2Tagging=True,VlanID=2

So you want to make sure your 7100 has the option 157 configured, like this for example:

option 157 ascii TftpServers=0.0.0.0,FtpServers=192.168.20.1:/ADTRAN,FtpLogin=polycomftp,FtpPassword=password,Layer2Tagging=True,VlanID=20

Go into the CLI and copy and then past your DHCP scope into a reply.

ALso, next troubleshooting trick is plug a phone directly into the 7100 and see if it can grab its config that way by eliminating your switches.

-Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

one more thing to clarify, when you say adtran ip phones, are you using the IP 706/712 or the ADTRAN co-branded polycom phones?

-Mark

kerryg9073
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

The Adttran is configured as :

157 TftpServers=0.0.0.0,FtpServers=192.168.20.1:/ADTRAN,FtpLogin=polycomftp,FtpPassword=password,Layer2Tagging=True,VlanID=20

66 TftpServers=0.0.0.0,FtpServers=192.168.20.1:/ADTRAN,FtpLogin=polycomftp,FtpPassword=password,Layer2Tagging=True,VlanID=20 ftp://polycomftp:password@192.168.180.1/Polycom

First the phones boot to 192.168.180.x Then through the dhcp options on the Adtran they are forwarded to the 192.168.20.x and dowload the config and pull a .20 IP.

I believe I just need to fix the 192.168.180.x scope on the Domain controller to send the phones when they boot to the ftp on the adtran. Make sense? The problem is if i remove the 192.168.180.x dhcp server from the 7100 the phones fail to find the ftp server from the 192.168.180.x scope on the domain controller.

kerryg9073
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

All but 2 are IP 706 We have 2 Polycoms in meeting rooms.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Question:

are PC's connected to the phones data port?

For your Polycoms, then you need to set option 66 to this:

ftp://polycomftp:password@192.168.20.1/Polycom

kerryg9073
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

We have PC's connected through some phones.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

what is the data vlan number?

kerryg9073
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

I resoved this. The issue was the 157 option. On the server the option already exist by default, and only allows you to put in the ftp sever name and or ip address. You must, under server options for the server, remove the default 157 option (because you cannot create a cusom option with the same ID). Then create a custom option with the 157 ID with a string value

TftpServers=0.0.0.0,FtpServers=(the ip of the dhcp on the adtran for the vlan your phones are on [as you can see mine are on vlan 20]):/ADTRAN,FtpLogin=polycomftp,FtpPassword=password,Layer2Tagging=True,VlanID=20

Tested this, this morning and all is good. Factory reset the phone and it finds the domain controller/dhcp server on the .180 vlan, the executes the option and resolves the ftp server address and re configures the phone to the proper vlan and downloads all of the config files.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

good job Kerry!

Thanks for posting your solution!

Yes that DHCP Windows Options config guide tells you that you must create a custom option.

Let us know if you have any other problems.

-Mark