cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newly created acct cannot make outbound calls to external numbers.

Jump to solution

Hi all,

We have recently implemented VOIP in our organization.  We are using NetVnata 7100 A4.08.00.E and Soundpoint IP 335 Polycom phones.

The problem is that I have recently installed a new phone and the phone will not make outbound calls to external numbers.  It is able to dial other extensions and pickup incoming calls.

I have attempted to resolve the problem by performing the following:

• replacing the phone with a different one.
    • replacing all Cat5 cables.
    • switching the phone to a different data port on the wall.
    • switching the phone to a different port on the Adtran switch.
    • deleting the user and recreating it using a different extension number.

The phone still only makes calls to other extensions but will not place calls to external numbers; when dialing a number the LCD displays "Connecting to: (Phone Number Dialed Here) and then I get a busy signal.  The call is terminated soon after.  All other previously installed phones are working fine.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newly created acct cannot make outbound calls to external numbers.

Jump to solution

Thx for the help.  I'm new to this forum and to VOIP.  jay and jamesandrew, I did as you suggested and as I was viewing over the debug file I noticed a received response from the TM that was inconsistent with what another phone was getting while dialing out.  I then reviewed the config file and found a difference in the configuration of Ext 5119 (not dialing out) and Ext 5112 (can dial out).  

It turns out that all the phones have a Custom Entry under External Caller ID Number that was missing from the newly created acct 5119.  Once I added this entry the phone is able to make external calls.  Yay!  This had been bugging me for a long time already.

Awesome forum...you'll hear from me again soon....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Juad, is the user a member of a class of service that is permitted to make outside calls? If so, please reply with the current configuration of your 7100 (with any passwords or IP addresses removed), and note the extension that can not dial outbound.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hey Juad, Thanks for posting and for giving some background on where you've already been troubleshooting. There could be a few reasons outbound calls are not working. Let's start with verifying the 7100 is making the correct call routing decisions by running a few debugs while attempting the outbound call:

debug voice switchboard

debug voice trunkaccount

The switchboard debug will verify the switchboard is sending the call to the correct trunk... essentially it's searching your various Trunks to find an "accept <dialed number template>"; if it does, that trunk is capable of accepting that call. If you do not have a trunk group defined to take this call, we've found your problem; you need to add an accept statement to the trunk group that is your "outbound gateway".

The trunkaccount debug will verify which trunk is receiving the call and sending it out. This debug assumes the switchboard found a Trunk that will take the call based on the accept <dialed number template> within the trunk configuration.

This guide goes more in-depth about trunk accounts / trunk groups on the 7100:

https://supportforums.adtran.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadBody/1854-102-2-1969/Configuring%20NetV...

If you want to, issue the command: "show running-config voice" and copy/paste the output on the forum and we can get a better idea about your application.

Let us know what you find and we can continue from there. Hope this helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thx jay and jamesandrew,

I will be getting the config file and debug logs soon.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thx for the help.  I'm new to this forum and to VOIP.  jay and jamesandrew, I did as you suggested and as I was viewing over the debug file I noticed a received response from the TM that was inconsistent with what another phone was getting while dialing out.  I then reviewed the config file and found a difference in the configuration of Ext 5119 (not dialing out) and Ext 5112 (can dial out).  

It turns out that all the phones have a Custom Entry under External Caller ID Number that was missing from the newly created acct 5119.  Once I added this entry the phone is able to make external calls.  Yay!  This had been bugging me for a long time already.

Awesome forum...you'll hear from me again soon....

0 Kudos