cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leeb
New Contributor

Removing 9 for outside dialing and 3 digit extensions

Jump to solution

I recently installed a Netvanta 7100 and removed the 9 for outside dialing. The customer has 3-digit extensions and I therefore made the appropriate changes to the phone configs to allow this and the outside dialing without a 9.

I added MXX to the system dial plan so I could configure the Auto-Attendant to dial an extension and record the message. The MXX broke my analog extensions, they began looking for the leading 9 when dialing outside numbers.

I opened a ticket with support and the technician had me remove the MXX from the system dial plan. This corrected the outside dialing on my analog extensions.

However, now when I try to tell the Auto-Attendant or Call Coverage to call a 3-digit extension, it gives me an error with the dial-plan.

Is there documentation for configuring a 7100 without the 9 for outside access and only using 3-digit extensions?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Removing 9 for outside dialing and 3 digit extensions

Jump to solution

leeb

You would need to still have a dial plan entry for 3 digit extensions for the Auto-Attendant and Call coverage but you would need to add an inter-digit timeout to this dial plan entry so analog device can make external calls.  See the example below for making this change.

NV7100#config terminal

NV7100(config)#voice dial-plan 3 extensions MXX default

Now analog phones will still be able to dial 3 digit extensions but there will be an inter-digit timeout of 4 seconds before the call is sent or the user can dial a "#" to send the digits immediately.

Thanks,

Charles

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Leeb, we do not have a document on doing what you're attempting. When you remove the 9 (or any other set pilot digit), it can cause some overlap when dialing internal extensions since the first 3 digits of an area code would match the internal extension.

If you add a dial plan entry with $, that should allow you to complete any internal auto-attendant transfers or call coverage situations you might be attempting.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Leeb, you may want to look at two related document https://supportforums.adtran.com/docs/DOC-1828 and https://supportforums.adtran.com/docs/DOC-2931 . They are two separate documents but should help in your particular case.

Additionally,  ADTRAN's next AOS release R10.8 for NetVanta 7000 series has a new feature, which allows you to easily change the steering digit using the installation wizard, and even set it to "none".  This way, you dial an internal extension and an outside number the same way. Without any special "trunk Access" or "Steering" digit. The next release will be entering beta next week. If you are intrested, please contact your local ADTRAN sales representative and ask for their assistance for participating in the beta program.

Kind regards,

-Samir

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

leeb

You would need to still have a dial plan entry for 3 digit extensions for the Auto-Attendant and Call coverage but you would need to add an inter-digit timeout to this dial plan entry so analog device can make external calls.  See the example below for making this change.

NV7100#config terminal

NV7100(config)#voice dial-plan 3 extensions MXX default

Now analog phones will still be able to dial 3 digit extensions but there will be an inter-digit timeout of 4 seconds before the call is sent or the user can dial a "#" to send the digits immediately.

Thanks,

Charles

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

leeb

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Charles