cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor

Voicemail sent to email problem

I have a netvanta 7100 that I have setup for voicemail to go to email accounts of some of my users. This feature has worked fine for about 1 year, but recently has stop working. I have check the user primary notification and schedule and that email notification has been enabled in logging. I can ping the email server by name from the netvanta.

The only thing that has changed is that I recently upgraded the firmware to R10.3.1.E. I am not sure if the notification stopped after the upgrade or before.

Here is what I get from debug after you leave a voicemail

You have 10 new messages and 1 saved message.

Mailbox space used (min:sec): 01:06

Mailbox space available (min:sec): 28:54

To SMTP server: 243 bytes of data

To SMTP server:

To SMTP server: 2 bytes of data

To SMTP server: ----BOUNDARY-STRING--

To SMTP server: 23 bytes of data

To SMTP server: Content-Type: application/octet-stream; name='DefaultSIPUser_11152012_0318.wav'

To SMTP server: 81 bytes of data

To SMTP server: Content-Length: 26284

To SMTP server: Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

To SMTP server: 35 bytes of data

To SMTP server:

To SMTP server: 35970 bytes of data

SMTP socket write failed.

SMTP Not enough info to send.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Voicemail sent to email problem

mwh,

Thanks for posting this question.  I am not aware of a current bug with this feature in R10.3.1.  Here is the generic configuration required for email notifications to work:

!

ip name-server <primary DNS server> <secondary DNS server>

no logging email

logging email receiver-ip <SMTP server> auth-username <account@domain.com>  auth-password <password>

logging email sender <account@domain.com>

!

!

voice user <extension>

email <e-mail address>

voicemail notify email attach-message pcm

voicemail notify schedule Sunday 12:00 am

notify email primary

!

If your configuration matches this I would need to see a complete configuration as well as the output from a debug system when leaving a voicemail message for a user setup for e-mail notifications.  You can also try changing from your mail server to use Yahoo by modifying these two lines to see if that works:

logging email receiver-ip smtp.mail.yahoo.com port 587 auth-username <Yahoo-account>@yahoo.com  auth-password <Yahoo password>

logging email sender <Yahoo-account>@yahoo.com

If you would like to submit a full configuration and debug you can upload them to our FTP server from the instructions below:

Open Internet Explorer web browser
Type the following URL:  ftp://ftp.adtran.com

Press Alt, click View, and then click Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer

Double-click the "Incoming" folder
Drag and drop files from PC into the Internet Explorer window

If you place files on the FTP server I would need to know the file names in order to retrieve them.

Thanks,
Matt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor

Matt,

Here is my debug and the config file.

Thanks, Mike

You have 10 new messages and 1 saved message.

Mailbox space used (min:sec): 01:06

Mailbox space available (min:sec): 28:54

To SMTP server: 243 bytes of data

To SMTP server:

To SMTP server: -

BOUNDARY-STRING--

To SMTP server: Content-Type: application/octet-stream; name='DefaultSIPUser_11152012_0318.wav'

To SMTP server: 81 bytes of data

To SMTP server: Content-Length: 26284

To SMTP server: Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

To SMTP server: 35 bytes of data

To SMTP server:

To SMTP server: 35970 bytes of data

SMTP socket write failed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mike,

I did not get the configuration attachment.  Unless you filter all of your passwords, public IPs, hostnames, and other sensitive information from the configuration, the FTP server is a better method for submitting configurations and debugs for security reasons. 

Did you try replacing your mail server settings with the Yahoo account example above?  That is a quick way to isolate it to the NetVanta 7100 or the mail server assuming you have a Yahoo account to use.  I just tested it on R10.3.1 and it worked properly.   

There seems to be a lot of normal SMTP transactions missing from the debugs you supplied.  Can you supply a complete unfiltered debug along with your configuration to the FTP server?

Thanks,
Matt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor

Matt,

I sent the config file to your FTP site. The file name is config.Reg_Steel_NV7100-11-28-2012.cfg.

I also tried to use a Yahoo account and had no luck.

Thanks, Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mike,

I just checked the site (ftp://ftp.adtran.com/incoming) and did not see that file name present.  Can you upload it again?  Also, if you can include the output from a show mem heap in that same text file or in this thread that may also be relevant.

Thanks,
Matt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor

Matt,

I copied the new file with the show men heap. The file name is config.Reg-Steel_NV7100-11-28-2012.cfg

Thanks, Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mike,

Thanks for submitting the file.  I reviewed it and noticed the logging email receiver-ip line was configured for port 2525.  Assuming the email server is using the default port of 25 you can omit the port <port number> parameter from the command.  Can you alter this and see if it resolves the issue?  It would look like this:

logging email receiver-ip smtp.XXXX.net auth-username voicemail@XXXX.net auth-password XXXX

You need to replace the "XXXX" portions above with the correct information.

Thanks,
Matt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor

Matt,

The smtp port for the mail provider is 2525, but I have also tried just 25 and 587.

Thanks, Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mike,

Can you upload the output from a debug system when trying to connect with the Yahoo account on port 587 to the FTP server, as well as a the same debug on all three ports to your mail server?  If you can get a packet capture from the WAN of the 7100 at the same time as the debug that would help too. 

Thanks,
Matt

0 Kudos