cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

UC Companion and Softphone

Jump to solution

In order to make UC Companion work over VPN are there any special needs i should consider?My phones register to the server easily and I can ping the server no problem, but my softphone or Companion application will not connect. Maybe a firewall issue?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: UC Companion and Softphone

Jump to solution

Sorry for the confusion, but I misstated something on my previous response and wanted to clarify. If the UC Server and UC Companion client are running on the same domain and using Windows authentication it will work in UC version 4.6.x or 5.x. In 4.6.x, local authentication may not work if the PC running UC Companion is not a member of the same domain as the server.  This makes the client not trusted because the client's credentials are unrecognized by the server.  In 5.x and above we added the ability to allow local authentication in this scenario by editing a particular xml file on the server.  We just published a document detailing how to do this here:

Thanks,

Matt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

tracyhammer,

As long as you have unrestricted IP connectivity it should work.  The fact that your softphone won't register while your IP phones do makes me think there may be something preventing your data VLAN from talking to the UC server over the VPN.  It seems odd to me that you can ping the server from the PC though.  A quick test would be to put your PC temporarily on the voice VLAN that the remote IP phones are in and see if that works, if so then you need to check your VPN and firewall policies to see why.

Thanks,
Matt

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Matt… the phones and my PC are on the same network. I am scheduled for training gin ECS \UC in mid June so hopefully I wont bug you so much.

Is there something in the UC that needs to be enabled for the client application to work. I’ve tried it on several machines with no luck. The common factor is however that all PCs are on a VPN connection to the ECS server. Maybe something in my VPN config… Ports maybe? The user name and password I assume is the user name of the extension “user” and that users PIN?

Thanks,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Nothing has to be enabled to make the client work on the server assuming everything was installed properly on both the client and server PCs.  As long as the proper services are running, including the "ADTRAN NetVanta UC Server Application Services" service and you have unrestricted IP connectivity between the server and client it should work.  If you are trying to connect by hostname see if it works by IP instead.  If so you may just have a DNS problem.   I would also suggest making sure the PC's default gateway is set the same as the phones that do appear to work on that network.  Are you filtering any ports or IPs between the host and remote VPN subnets?  If you are doing Active Directory integration it will use those credentials to connect with the client unless you use the shortcut to bypass the Windows login.  Do you get a specific error when trying to connect? 

Thanks,
Matt

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

One more thing to note is make sure you are installing from the autorun file and not the MSI file.  Prerequisites are required and will be checked from the autorun.

Thanks,
Matt

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.

Thanks,

Matt

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Sorry Matt i need this still open... im thinking that possibly it has something to do with my config on my core router (Adtran 5305) or possibly the way I have my VLAN configured in the core. Can you clarify what my user name and password should be? User Name the full name of the extension user or just the extension.? The password is the PIN?

Thanks,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

One thing I did not clarify is the that UC Client can do Windows authentication but it is not supported with UC Companion until version 5.0.  If you are not using windows authentication your username and password will be based off of what is shown in the Authentications section of the UC Client.  To reset a password simply right click on the user from that screen and select  Reset Password. 

Thanks,
Matt

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Matt… this is exactly the case… I am on 4.6 I am trying to find upgrade information with my SE.

Thanks so much.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Sorry for the confusion, but I misstated something on my previous response and wanted to clarify. If the UC Server and UC Companion client are running on the same domain and using Windows authentication it will work in UC version 4.6.x or 5.x. In 4.6.x, local authentication may not work if the PC running UC Companion is not a member of the same domain as the server.  This makes the client not trusted because the client's credentials are unrecognized by the server.  In 5.x and above we added the ability to allow local authentication in this scenario by editing a particular xml file on the server.  We just published a document detailing how to do this here:

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Matt