cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

908e wan failover and sip trunk

Jump to solution

We have a new 908e gen 3 we are testing for a potential new subscriber.  The customer is wanting redundant ISP in case the primary link goes down.  I think I have that part figured out.  This will be served with a Sip trunk to the front of the 908e and a PRI out the back for the time being, with the provision they could upgrade the PBX to sip capabilities at a later date.  No problem there either.  The issue I am having is when we go into failover on the wan, and the secondary becomes active, I see 0 sip traffic via the debug sip stack messages to say that the Adtran is even trying to talk to the provider(me).  We run a Metaswitch and Perimeta SBC.  Guess I am curious if the Adtran will actively try to talk with the far end SBC even if it isnt provisioned correctly, as in a OPTIONS message and a get lost response,  I attached a configuration for the Adtran.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 908e wan failover and sip trunk

Jump to solution

Got this working, needed to get away from the "peering" side of our SBC, and move to the "general access" so we could have the sip trunk from the Adtran register.  We have not done that before, all of our sip trunks we keep on the "peering" side and hard code the WAN IP's of the Adtrans in the our switch and SBC for security, along with credentials.  With the trunk registering it seems to work fine on WAN fail over

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I guess the next question also would be, can you do 2 sip trunks, one per interface, on the 908e, then when it failed over, the switch would see 1 configured binding down, and would route calls to the one that was up, IE the secondary?  Sorry for rambling, thanks folks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Got this working, needed to get away from the "peering" side of our SBC, and move to the "general access" so we could have the sip trunk from the Adtran register.  We have not done that before, all of our sip trunks we keep on the "peering" side and hard code the WAN IP's of the Adtrans in the our switch and SBC for security, along with credentials.  With the trunk registering it seems to work fine on WAN fail over

0 Kudos
mnorton
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Riker,

How do you manipulate the TA900 into re-registering when the first circuit fails over? or are you relying on the registration expiration?

(presuming that you are still using the TA900 to hand off an ePRI)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Riker424,

Did you figure out how to get 2 sip trunks, one per interface.  I would like to know how to do this too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

@riker424, You said you got this to work. I am facing a similar problem. Could you please share how you configured the trunk on the MetaSwitch as a registered trunk instead of hard coding the Adtran IP.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

So we run a Metaswitch and a Perimeter SBC, which is also Metaswitch made.  In a basic configuration the Perimeter should have at least 2 outside facing adjacencies, 1 will be peering, and 1 will be registering.  The Peering adjacency will not allow registers to come into it.  The Registering adjacency is general what you would use for Hosted PBX, or sip clients/phones.  Each adjacency will have a local ip address that the far end devices need to communicate with.  This is basic, I know other folks setups could and will be more complicated.  So with that being said to be able to get a "registering" sip trunk set up in the Metaswitch you will need to attach it to the registering adjancency.  You can make the sip binding in the Metaswitch the same way as other ones, "Learned contact details" needs to be set to true, and the "SIP domain name" needs to match your registering adjancency local ip address.  "Learned contact details"  

• True The SIP device is identified by its SIP user name and domain name, and MetaSphere CFS learns its other contact details when the device registers. Only one PBX Line may use this Configured SIP Binding.

So that is at least the Switch side

I will paste my example config, scrubbed.  In our test we used STATIC interface and PPPOE for another interface on the wan side of the Adtran.

ip local policy route-map LOCAL

probe WAN1 icmp-echo

destination X.X.X.1

source-address X.X.X.19

period 3

tolerance consecutive fail 5 pass 40

no shutdown

!

track WAN1

test if probe WAN1

no shutdown

interface eth 0/1

description XXXXXXXXXXXXX

ip address  X.X.X.19  X.X.X.X

ip access-policy InterNet-Public_1

media-gateway ip primary

no shutdown

no lldp send-and-receive

!

!

interface eth 0/2

description UPLINK PPPOE

no ip address

no shutdown

no lldp send-and-receive

interface t1 0/3

tdm-group 1 timeslots 1-24 speed 64

no shutdown

interface pri 1

isdn switch-type 5ess

connect t1 0/3 tdm-group 1

no shutdown

interface ppp 1

ip address negotiated 10

ip mtu 1452

ip access-policy InterNet-Public_2

media-gateway ip primary

no fair-queue

ppp chap hostname XXXX@XXXX

ppp chap password encrypted 464e700e59f5b6ae542c3e3b8fe320bf9b29

no shutdown

cross-connect 1 eth 0/2 ppp 1

!

!

isdn-group 1

connect pri 1

route-map LOCAL permit 10

match ip address WAN1

set ip next-hop X.X.X.1

set interface eth 0/1  null 0

ip access-list standard NAT_PRI

remark Internet Connection Sharing

permit any

!

ip access-list standard NAT_SEC

remark Internet Connection Sharing

permit any

!

ip access-list extended WAN1

permit icmp host X.X.X.19  host X.X.X.1   

!

no ip policy-class InterNet-Public_1 rpf-check

ip policy-class InterNet-Public_1

allow reverse list InterVLAN stateless

allow list SIP self

allow list management self

allow list WAN1 self

!

ip policy-class InterNet-Public_2

allow reverse list InterVLAN stateless

allow list SIP self

allow list management self

!

ip policy-class Private

allow list self self

allow list InterVLAN stateless

nat source list NAT_PRI interface eth 0/1 overload policy InterNet-Public_1

nat source list NAT_SEC interface ppp 1 overload policy InterNet-Public_2

!

!

!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 X.X.X.1 track WAN1

voice trunk T01 type sip

description "METASWITCH"

sip-server primary X.X.X.X

dial-string source to

register XXXXXX auth-name "XXXXXXX" password encrypted "1e12dc02928fbe6f9d486740126e76c7347e"

trust-domain p-asserted-identity-required

authentication username "XXXXXXX" password encrypted "3a3667874c092537ddf01ec7f25f1b5a2cc9"

Ok some answers

Riker,

How do you manipulate the TA900 into re-registering when the first circuit fails over? or are you relying on the registration expiration?

(presuming that you are still using the TA900 to hand off an ePRI)

When there is a wan failover, the Adtran will try to immediately register again with the SBC, when it does, and you have the configured sip binding in the Metaswitch set to Learns contact details, it will capture the new registration, learn the IP address, and start forwarding calls to it.  It will drop the old registration and not remember it.  Secondly on wan failover you can set timers on how much time you want to wait until that primary internet services has been up before you switch back.  That is in the WAN1 configuration

probe WAN1 icmp-echo

destination X.X.X.1

source-address X.X.X.19

period 3

tolerance consecutive fail 5 pass 40

no shutdown

Riker424,

Did you figure out how to get 2 sip trunks, one per interface.  I would like to know how to do this too.

No, I dont think you can do it 2 per 1 interface.  I thought I have read some articles where you could use 2 wan interfaces and have 2 sip trunks, that is 1 for 1.

@riker424, You said you got this to work. I am facing a similar problem. Could you please share how you configured the trunk on the MetaSwitch as a registered trunk instead of hard coding the Adtran IP.

I tried to describe it on the top section, hopefully that will get you going, if not give me another message and will try again.  Good Luck Folks!