cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adtran 904 config issues

I have an off net customer for which I had to build a firewall in the 904, we keep all our devices on private internal statics so I don't do the firewalls. I did a down load of the test box I built before the customer roll out, I defaulted the adtran and tried a reload using the config I download from the Adtran. I boot stops at 4% of the config, I have looked it over and dont see the issue. Any help will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Adtran 904 config issues

I think there is something else going on. The configuration doesn't load until after bootup, and if there are errors in the configuration then they'll show on the console. A bad configuration should not prevent the unit from booting up.

It sounds as if the software image in flash or flash itself is corrupt.

Try the following:

Power-cycle the box and hit the ESCAPE key immediately when you see console output. This should get you to a bootstrap# prompt.

Type the following:

bypass config

<enter>

boot

<enter>

This will cause the unit to boot without reading the configuration. If it finishes the boot sequence then you can paste in the configuration one line at a time looking for errors. My hunch is that it won't boot even with the configuration bypassed. You'll probably have to re-flash it from bootstrap according to this document https://supportforums.adtran.com/docs/DOC-1672 starting at the middle of page 27. Grab the latest firmware for your unit from the Adtran website. You say this is a 904, there are two generations, Gen. 1 and Gen. 2. Make sure that you are loading the correct firmware for your hardware. Gen. 1 is part number 4210904L1 and Gen. 2 is 4212904L1.

I took a cursory look at your configuration and didn't see anything glaringly wrong but hanging during boot isn't likely to be a configuration problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As always Thanks Jayh, I did bootstrap the box a couple of times before I started this discussion. It locked up at the 4% mark of the config process each time but would boot to a non firewall version no problem. I just can see any issues in the config file. I will try a new config. Thanks again.

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Will it boot if you bypass config from bootstrap? The behavior you describe doesn't add up. Bad configuration shouldn't prevent booting.

Edit: Is it actually failing to boot or do you just lose connectivity on a web/telnet/ssh session? It could be booting just fine but a firewall rule is preventing you from seeing it. Are you still connected on console? Is there an exception report generated?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, the odd part is it boots just fine with Bypass, I had to do it 3 times in the last few days. and it loads jus fine with the orignial config, just not with this modified config.

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I was editing my previous reply when you replied.

Is it actually failing to boot or do you just lose connectivity on a web/telnet/ssh session? It could be booting just fine but a firewall rule is preventing you from seeing it. Are you still able to connect on console? Is there an exception report generated?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I hyper terminal into the box during boot and watch the process, that is where I see the 4% lock up and the box stops responding. I the have to  power cycle to boot strap in hyper treminal.

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Could there be a "boot system" command in the configuration that references a file that doesn't exist in flash or isn't correct for the hardware? I didn't see one in the copy/paste you posted. "show system" and compare the image listed to what is in flash.

That's about the only thing I can think of in a configuration that would keep it from booting. If that isn't it, probably time to open a case with Adtran.