cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
misterelbows
New Contributor

Comcast PRI & legacy analog devices

Good day!  I am hoping that I can find some guidance on some elementary concerns and questions, for a current project.

A customer of ours has a Comcast PRI via a Arris CM820 (basic cable modem) which hands off to their Adtran 908e.  I do not know the Gen. /firmware information as, we do not have access (we tried)to the unit.  The Adtran (T1/03) plugs into a PRI blade on their Panasonic PBX (Panasonic is being replaced, hence why I am here).

Since there are eight legacy devices that require analog (fax machines) - the first question I have is:  could we utilize the 25 pair amphenol (first eight) voice port and wire it up to a block,, isolating those devices from the new PBX?  Not having much knowledge on the 908e besides some reading - it seems that it would. 

If in fact we could utilize that 50 wire voice port - the next question is, how much is involved configuring the Adtran, to provide dial tone from Comcast's PRI?

Comcast has hinted that if they come in, and breakout the analog lines for their fax machines  - they'll install an 8 port eMTA (pretty sure about that), and will definitely incur an additlional hefty monthly charge, which we are trying to help avoid.  Full disclosure:  we are installing a new NEC SV9100.  The chassis is full with digital port cards.  We can solve this be adding an expansion chassis with an analog card (for a one time fee), but we wanted to learn if the Adtran could solve the hiccup.  (customer thought analog was already isolated = but was wrong and new equipment was already ordered)

The last concern!!!  If in fact the Adtran can isolate trunks from Comcast PRI for their fax machines - we do not have access to the Adtran.  We tried the default IP and credentials and it did not work.  So, is there a back way in or is that something we would need to ask Comcast - or is there a quick way to track down the IP?  Their existing PBX is all digital and analog.

Thanks in advance

Terry Mergl

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Comcast PRI & legacy analog devices

Hello Terry,

Depending on how Comcast configured the device you may be able to break-out those analog lines.

If you follow these directions you should be able to login. [video] - Password Recovery in AOS

The big problem is that Comcast at anytime can push a config change that will overwrite whatever changes you made.

Best regards

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Is the physical setup as follows?

COMCAST ------(PRI)------> TA908e ------(PRI)------> Panasonic PBX

or

COMCAST ------(SIP)------> TA908e ------(PRI)------> Panasonic PBX

?

Are the DIDs for the analog devices being sent to you via Comcast?

Either should be able work but the configuration is a bit different. Can you post your configuration with passwords and public IPs redacted?

Thank you!!!   That was a concern - making changes, then having them overwritten by an update.

That was my main curiosity - seeing how Comcast has that Adtran configured, just in case we ask them to break out those eight lines.

I appreciate the reply!  The responsible party is reaching out to Comcast - I myself opted to just order some additional hardware to not have to worry about Comcast.

All the best

Terry

Jay, as mentioned in my original post - we do not have access to the Adtran 908e.   And since Comcast is so accessible - I could not tell you if the Cable Modem (CM820) is providing SIP trunks or, my guess is pseudowire.

Thanks for the reply

Terry

Anonymous
Not applicable

if the adtran belongs to comcast, you cant/should not touch it. if it belongs to the customer, then yes, it is capable of doing exactly what you're asking for up to 8 fxs/analog lines.  the last 2 numerical digits on the total access units indicate how many analog/fxs lines it supports - in your case I believe you said it's a ta908e so the "08" is how many analog/fxs port it supports via the amphenol connection.

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

OK, got it. The 908e is perfectly capable of delivering up to eight analog lines. However because you don't have access to configure it you won't be able to use that feature. Your best option may be to route all of the DIDs to the PBX and use the PBX to deliver the POTS lines.

Alternatively, you can put another TA908e between Comcast's and your PBX, peel the analog lines away from their PRI, and pass the rest to the PBX. A 908e can handle two PRIs as well as eight analog lines and SIP. Actually the Gen.3 can handle four PRIs.

Hi Jay.

We opted just to add an expansion chassis with analog ports rather than messing around with the Adtran.  Comcast has been impossible to reach for assistance with regards to answering a few PRI questions so we can set it up right on the NEC PBX.  I do know, every number they have:  AT&T ported #'s and new Comcast numbers are all part of their DID block from Comcast now. 

We tested last night: outbound calls worked from  the new PBX.  Inbound calls, however were answered with a busy signal.  Still guessing

Thanks
Terry

Hi JT.

The 908e was installed - I assume, provided by Comcast - the customer, again I have been told - owns the 908e outright.

We opted to just add an expansion chassis with analog ports - faster than trying to find a qualified Comcast support rep to assist us.

Now we just have to figure out why we can make outbound, CID correct  but inbound is greeted with a busy signal.

Appreciate the reply

Terry