Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tetu04
New Contributor III

Failover between two circuits that are handed off the same interface

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I have an unusual setup for a customer that I may need some guidance and help with. I am terminating a 50Mb fiber circuit as well as 3 bonded T1’s into a 908e Gen3. The customer wants me to hand off both circuits via one Ethernet port to his Sonicwall while proving failover between them. I mentioned that I can handoff the circuits via 2 separate Ethernet ports since the Gen3 has three ETH ports, but the customer wants both circuits on a single interface. How can this be done in the cleanest way possible along with the failover?

Thanks in advance,

Adrian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tetu04
New Contributor III

Re: Failover between two circuits that are handed off the same interface

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply Geoff. We ended up doing a BGP fail-over since the circuits are provided by the same carrier.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hello Adrian,

There are multiple ways to accomplish what they want, but it depends on their various criteria.  Do they want to do load-sharing?  If so, then they can share the two internet connections, and if one fails, it will automatically failover (or only use one) of the Internet connections.  Here is the guide: Configuring IP Load Sharing in AOS - Quick Configuration Guide

If they want to do true failover, then here is the Internet failover guide:  Configuring Multiple WAN Connection Failover in AOS

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Geoff

tetu04
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply Geoff. We ended up doing a BGP fail-over since the circuits are provided by the same carrier.

0 Kudos
jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

Sonicwalls support 802.1q so I would use two VLANs on the same physical port, one for each WAN feed. Configuration would be similar to using two physical interfaces.  Your customer likely wants to handle his own failover and load balancing within the Sonicwall so you will need to either do policy routing or a VRF on the Adtran to keep the traffic separate.