cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maximum Dsitance between 908e and service provider smart jack

Jump to solution

I have searched around and found several different distances allowed between the smart jack and the router's T1 port. The maximum distances i have found have ranged from 655 feet to 6000 feet.

What is the actual distance allowed from the 908e to the service provider smart jack?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Maximum Dsitance between 908e and service provider smart jack

Jump to solution

Hello and thank you for posting to our forum.

Any distance limitation is dictated by the type of T1 receiver interface on a unit or smart jack.  Typically smart jacks are DSX interfaces and T1 network interfaces on routers/CSUs are DS1 interfaces.

T1 DSX interface - Tx level - 0dB / 6Vpp     Rx level - 0dBm                   Length - up to 655ft

T1 DS1 interface - Tx level - 0dB / 6Vpp     Rx level - down to -36dBm    Length - 3000 ft w/loopback or 6000ft w/out loopback

The DS1 receiver is more sensitive and can frame up on a T1 signal over a longer distance than the DSX interface.  DSX to DS1 connections require a straight through T1 cable where DSX to DSX or DS1 to DS1 connections require a T1 crossover cable (pins 1-4, 2-5).

Note that on a TA 900, there is a NET (DS1) 0/1 and DSX interface 0/2.  On a TA 900e, all 4 T1s are labeled NET although T1s 0/3 and 0/4 can be configured for PRI or E&M like T1 0/2 on a TA 900.  A TA 900 T1 0/2 to a PBX would use a straight through T1 cable while a TA 900e T1 0/3 or 0/4 to a PBX would require a T1 crossover cable.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards.

Geoff

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hello and thank you for posting to our forum.

Any distance limitation is dictated by the type of T1 receiver interface on a unit or smart jack.  Typically smart jacks are DSX interfaces and T1 network interfaces on routers/CSUs are DS1 interfaces.

T1 DSX interface - Tx level - 0dB / 6Vpp     Rx level - 0dBm                   Length - up to 655ft

T1 DS1 interface - Tx level - 0dB / 6Vpp     Rx level - down to -36dBm    Length - 3000 ft w/loopback or 6000ft w/out loopback

The DS1 receiver is more sensitive and can frame up on a T1 signal over a longer distance than the DSX interface.  DSX to DS1 connections require a straight through T1 cable where DSX to DSX or DS1 to DS1 connections require a T1 crossover cable (pins 1-4, 2-5).

Note that on a TA 900, there is a NET (DS1) 0/1 and DSX interface 0/2.  On a TA 900e, all 4 T1s are labeled NET although T1s 0/3 and 0/4 can be configured for PRI or E&M like T1 0/2 on a TA 900.  A TA 900 T1 0/2 to a PBX would use a straight through T1 cable while a TA 900e T1 0/3 or 0/4 to a PBX would require a T1 crossover cable.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards.

Geoff

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks for the information. This clears it up for me.