cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Setting up a P2P between two Nortel PBXs using TA904s

Jump to solution

I had opened a discussion regarding using two TA904's to produce a P2P between two Nortel PBX's.

https://supportforums.adtran.com/message/3424#3424

The customer has purchased this and now we need some configuration help.

Could someone help me with this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Setting up a P2P between two Nortel PBXs using TA904s

Jump to solution

Thanks for the follow-up.

We were able to get this going.

We had set each Nortel Switch up with NI-2. We were able to call between pbx’s – ext to ext but could not get the Nortel at the main site to Tandem the outside calls from the incoming PSTN to the NI-2 circuit that was set as the PT to PT to the remote site. We tried different permissions and routing but it would not tandem the call in and back (out) a circuit that appeared to be a Telco circuit to the switch.

In the lab at our office we had tested the 904’s initially on circuits that were set up as QSiG and the d-channels established and were able to make ext to ext calls. The Nortel PBX sees the QSIG protocol as a private circuit so we tested to see if the QSIG protocol on the Nortel would talk to the NI-2 on the 904s in this live envornment. This should allow external calls to be tandemed from the Public Telco circuit to the private PT-PT “circuit” virtualized with the 904’s.

This did work successfully. I set the ISDN name-delivery to setup on the interface for PRI 1. This allowed CLID to pass for ext to ext and for local and LD inbound as well.

The only other issue we had was that the Nortel has a centralized voicemail. We knew that lighting the voicemail indicator lamps would be an issue at the remote site. The customer has UM for voicemail so that was not an issue. The issue was getting the correct digits back to the Nortel Call Pilot voicemail for correct mailbox recognition when calls were being forwarded back across the PT-PT for busy or no-answer treatment.

We accomplished that by setting a unique phantom dn in the main system for each set on the remote system. Now, instead of call forwarding to the voicemail extension, the remote phones forwarded to their assigned phantom dn in the main system when busy or no answer. These phantom’s are call forwarded to voicemail and each users mailbox has the phantom dn set up as an alternative extension for that mailbox. Works like a champ.

They have been running exclusively on this virtual PT-PT for about 5 days now with no complaints. Thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

dbryant4590,

I believe we worked this issue on our regular Technical Support queue.  We needed to change the PRI role on one of the units in order to get the D channel to come up properly.  This likely happened since the previous installation had one PBX set to network role and the other set to user role.  The default setting on the Total Access 900 series is for network role.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.  I would be glad to help out.

Thanks!

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Sorry I have not responded. I am out of town in training. I will work on this again after I get back into town next week. I have not changed the setting on the near end for two way traffic but was able to change one of the CLID settings and get it to pass.. but with no CLID. I will tweak this next week and let you know if it works.

hibbin
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Configure the ethernet interfaces as the media gateway on each TA900 and ensure you have network connectivity to one another. Build a SIP trunk on each TA900 to send its traffic to the other device. Configure your PRI trunks between the AdTran and the Nortel but here are a few things I would pay attention to.

1. T1 cabling and pinout for the PRIs
  2. Timing. It was likely set up with one Nortel timing off the other. One will likely look to the t1 for its clocking where the other will be trying to set it. You may need to do some trial and error here going from internal timing source to t1 timing source until you see the slips disappear. Or if you have access to the Nortel just configure it however you like.
  3. Network vs User on the PRI. Like David mentioned, if these were a P2P t1 before then then one system was likely set Network and the other user. If you have access to the Nortels, configure as you please, otherwise just like the timing issue, you may need to do some trial and error before things start working.

Other than that, it's no different that configuring a normal TDM to SIP connection.

Thanks,

Nathan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

dbryant4590,

I just wanted to check back in with you.  Were you able to get calls working in both directions with the Caller ID you expected?  Please let us know if we can provide further assistance.

Thanks!

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks for the follow-up.

We were able to get this going.

We had set each Nortel Switch up with NI-2. We were able to call between pbx’s – ext to ext but could not get the Nortel at the main site to Tandem the outside calls from the incoming PSTN to the NI-2 circuit that was set as the PT to PT to the remote site. We tried different permissions and routing but it would not tandem the call in and back (out) a circuit that appeared to be a Telco circuit to the switch.

In the lab at our office we had tested the 904’s initially on circuits that were set up as QSiG and the d-channels established and were able to make ext to ext calls. The Nortel PBX sees the QSIG protocol as a private circuit so we tested to see if the QSIG protocol on the Nortel would talk to the NI-2 on the 904s in this live envornment. This should allow external calls to be tandemed from the Public Telco circuit to the private PT-PT “circuit” virtualized with the 904’s.

This did work successfully. I set the ISDN name-delivery to setup on the interface for PRI 1. This allowed CLID to pass for ext to ext and for local and LD inbound as well.

The only other issue we had was that the Nortel has a centralized voicemail. We knew that lighting the voicemail indicator lamps would be an issue at the remote site. The customer has UM for voicemail so that was not an issue. The issue was getting the correct digits back to the Nortel Call Pilot voicemail for correct mailbox recognition when calls were being forwarded back across the PT-PT for busy or no-answer treatment.

We accomplished that by setting a unique phantom dn in the main system for each set on the remote system. Now, instead of call forwarding to the voicemail extension, the remote phones forwarded to their assigned phantom dn in the main system when busy or no answer. These phantom’s are call forwarded to voicemail and each users mailbox has the phantom dn set up as an alternative extension for that mailbox. Works like a champ.

They have been running exclusively on this virtual PT-PT for about 5 days now with no complaints. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

dbryant4590,

I'm glad to hear that it is all working.  I went ahead and flagged this post as "Assumed Answered".  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as Correct or Helpful as the case may be with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily.

Thanks!

David