cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mvutech
New Contributor II

backup config fails to load - loops

Jump to solution

I was trying to use a backup of a config file on a Netvanta 1550-48p from a switch of the same model. 

It just keeps looping through the backup. How can I stop this so I can manually set up the switch. I am currently connected via console port.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mvutech
New Contributor II

Re: backup config fails to load - loops

Jump to solution

This is all set. After moving the switch to the network, updating the gateway to the next switch and moving the tftp server to a server on the network, I ran the same commands, and it copied over the file and I was able to install it. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Jump to solution

My assumption is you have a serial VT-100 connection to the NV1550 switch and can see the boot sequence.  If that is correct, then watch for a message to press the ESC key within 5 seconds, press the ESC key.  At that point you should be in the bootstrap mode, which is "before" the startup-config file is executed line by line in NVRAM.  In this area the only task I every worked on was the "bypass password" and "boot" commands.  I am not sure if you will have access to the NVRAM area.  If you do, try "erase startup-config" to remove the problem configuration, then "boot" to finish the boot process to the ">" prompt.  Hope this helps.

mvutech
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

I have not had a chance to check this. I will post back as soon as I do.

mvutech
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Okay, finally got the usb cable needed as my old laptop with a serial port finally died. 

you are correct, hitting esc did allow me to go into bootstrap.  

Using the directions here , I was able to erase the flash. 

However, I am not having success with the tftp tranfer. 

In putty I set the ip using

bootstrap#ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

bootstrap#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 

Then I ran these

bootstrap#copy tftp flash

Address of remote host? 192.168.1.4

Source filename? NV1550A-R13-10-2.biz

Destination filename? [NV1550A-R13-10-2.biz]

timed out. 

I have solarwinds tftp server installed on the same laptop (with ip 192.168.1.4). NV1550A-R13-10-2.biz file is in the TFTP-Root folder.

Gateway is probably wrong - generally I use our core switch as next hop, but not connected to network right now.

Thanks for all the assistance!

mvutech
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

This is all set. After moving the switch to the network, updating the gateway to the next switch and moving the tftp server to a server on the network, I ran the same commands, and it copied over the file and I was able to install it. 

0 Kudos