Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
most_ahdy
Contributor
Contributor

Polycom phone low ring volume default setting

Hi,

I used about 20 Polycom 331 phones in one of our projects along with NV7060 and NV6336, the customer always complain about their low ring volume, as these phone are installed in loudly places, but after adjust their ring volume using their + - buttons the customer somehow hardly accept the ring volume, but the problem now that if these phones restarted by some reasons, the ring volume return to its default , and this cause a lot of missed calls because the customer can not hear the phone ringing in such loudly places, so I asked if there is any way to adjust the default ring volume for these phones.

The current firmware of :

IP331 is 3.1.3

NV7060 is A4.12.00.E

NV6336 is A5.02.00.E

Thanks,

Mostafa Aly

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Polycom phone low ring volume default setting

Mostafa, it is possible to add this as a configuration option, but you'll need to upgrade your phones and your 7060 in order to do it. First, the 7060 needs to be on at least R10.3.1. I'd recommend R10.5.3.HA at this time. Once it's upgraded, you'll need to upgrade your Polycom phones to 4.0.2B using this guide:

https://supportforums.adtran.com/docs/DOC-6118

There is a feature enabled by default in 4.X that saves the volume when the phones reboot. Once the upgrades are completed, the volume should persist.

Hi Jay,

I opened this guide https://supportforums.adtran.com/docs/DOC-6118 to upgrade my Polycom phones to 4.0.2B , but it recommend AOS version R10.7.0 or later is required on the NetVanta 7000 series to support the Polycom 4.0.x revision of firmware.

So should I upgrade to R10.7.0?

I'll implement your instructions and I'll feed you back.

Thanks,

Mostafa Aly

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mostafa, I believe that's specifically pertaining to VVX phone models. 4.X firmware support is available in the GUI in 10.5.3. Thanks

Hi Jay,

The ring volume is not at its maximum after I followed your instruction of upgrading the NV7060 to R.10.7.E "Kindly see the attached show version command" then upload the Polycom phones IP331 firmware and 4.4.0 Boot upgrader using the GUI as attached, and all phones upgraded successfully to firmware version 4.0.2RevB

Then I added this line <feature feature.nonVolatileRingerVolume.enabled="0"/> then reboot all phone , but still the ring volume is not at its maximum.

Thanks,

Mostafa Aly

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mostafa,

Thanks for the update.  This setting is enabled by default so it should not be necessary to add it to the customer-sip.cfg file.  I noticed you set the parameter as 0 instead of 1.  It needs to be set to 1 to preserve the ring volume, but again this should be taken care of by default.  I would suggest removing it from the customer-sip.cfg, and then testing it again.  If it does not work, try factory defaulting the phone. 

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately R10.7.E firmware version is not compatible with Egypt analog lines signaling and cause a lot of problem with our analog trunks like when an incoming call established the trunk port fluctuating between ringing and onhook and this cause the IP Phone at which the incoming call redirected ring Intermittently.

I discussed this with ADTRAN support and they will contact with their RD.

So I downgraded back to version A4.12.00.E before defaulting the IP phones to see the result.

Thanks,

Mostafa Aly

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mostafa,

Thanks for the update.  I did want to mention that we do not recommend using 4.x Polycom firmware with A4.12.  As a general, rule you always want to run the phone firmware that is outlined in the release notes for the version of firmware you are running on the NetVanta 7060.

Thanks,

Matt

yes, of course and I mentioned this to Adtran support , but they told me that it will work but with some alarms.

Any way I plan to downgrade the IP phones again . I am waiting their response first If there is another way for solving the ring volume problem.

Thanks,

Mostafa Aly