cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hubtech
New Contributor II

Manually Update Firmware on IP 706

Jump to solution

OK, i'm in a situation where i'd like to update the firmware on some ip706's but i'm using them on a hosted PBX.  Is there a way to setup a tftp server on my laptop and push the latest firmware to the phones that way?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Manually Update Firmware on IP 706

Jump to solution

You can either use DHCP option 157 or manually configure the phone to point to your laptop.  I outlined instructions for each below.

Using DHCP Option  157

option 157 ascii TftpServers=0.0.0.0,FtpServers=x.x.x.x:/ADTRAN,FtpLogin=polycomftp,FtpPassword=password,Layer2Tagging=True,VlanID=2

Make sure to replace x.x.x.x with your laptop's IP address, remove the "/ADTRAN" if you do not have that directory present in your FTP environment, replace polycomftp/password to match what you have configured on your FTP server, and remove the ",Layer2Tagging=True,VlanID=2" if that is not relevant to your setup with this phone.

Manually Configure Phone

NOTE: This is not supported on ADTRAN Phones with R1 firmware (1.3.16 and earlier) so you may not be able to use this method.   If the phone is loaded with R2 firmware you can follow the steps below:

• Press Menu > Phone Settings > Network

• Enter the password  456  if the phone has been previously configured or enter 1234 if the phone is new out of the box

• Select Server Menu > Edit Server Type > Select FTP and press Ok

• Edit the Address to enter the IP address of your laptop and add a /adtran path at the end if that matches the directory structure of your FTP server (example 10.10.20.1/adtran)

• Edit the Login and Password to enter the FTP username and password used on the FTP server

Page 7 of the lists all the files the phone downloads and uses.  As a part of the boot up process the phone loads adtran_firmware_706.txt or adtran_firmware_712.txt depending on the phone model.  That file specifies the filename for the boot and app code that the phone needs to download and use from the FTP server, so at a minimum it and the firmware files will need to be present on the FTP server.

Thanks,

Matt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

You can either use DHCP option 157 or manually configure the phone to point to your laptop.  I outlined instructions for each below.

Using DHCP Option  157

option 157 ascii TftpServers=0.0.0.0,FtpServers=x.x.x.x:/ADTRAN,FtpLogin=polycomftp,FtpPassword=password,Layer2Tagging=True,VlanID=2

Make sure to replace x.x.x.x with your laptop's IP address, remove the "/ADTRAN" if you do not have that directory present in your FTP environment, replace polycomftp/password to match what you have configured on your FTP server, and remove the ",Layer2Tagging=True,VlanID=2" if that is not relevant to your setup with this phone.

Manually Configure Phone

NOTE: This is not supported on ADTRAN Phones with R1 firmware (1.3.16 and earlier) so you may not be able to use this method.   If the phone is loaded with R2 firmware you can follow the steps below:

• Press Menu > Phone Settings > Network

• Enter the password  456  if the phone has been previously configured or enter 1234 if the phone is new out of the box

• Select Server Menu > Edit Server Type > Select FTP and press Ok

• Edit the Address to enter the IP address of your laptop and add a /adtran path at the end if that matches the directory structure of your FTP server (example 10.10.20.1/adtran)

• Edit the Login and Password to enter the FTP username and password used on the FTP server

Page 7 of the lists all the files the phone downloads and uses.  As a part of the boot up process the phone loads adtran_firmware_706.txt or adtran_firmware_712.txt depending on the phone model.  That file specifies the filename for the boot and app code that the phone needs to download and use from the FTP server, so at a minimum it and the firmware files will need to be present on the FTP server.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Matt