cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: netvanta 160 stuck in recovery mode

Jump to solution

I would first like to apologize for the confusion and issues you have experienced with the NetVanta 160/161 Access Points. I wanted to let you know that Adtran is working to address these issues as soon as possible.

The NetVanta 160 will end up in recovery mode when it does not have the running partition required to be controlled by an Adtran unit. To get the NetVanta 160/161 out of recovery mode requires that the Access Point's firmware is pushed to it so that the running partition can be recovered.

We are currently working on a document that will explain how to get a NetVanta 160/161 out of recovery mode. However, I will go ahead and explain how to do this below:

At this time, the best way to upgrade the firmware on the NetVanta 160/161 is through the Command Line Interface (CLI).

To upgrade the firmware, follow the steps below:

The Access Point, in recovery state, will have an IP of 192.168.190.1.  You will need to create a VLAN in the switch controlling the AP and apply this subnet to it.  Furthermore, the AP can only communicate in the native VLAN, so the port attached to the AP must be an access port for that vlan or a trunk port with the native being the Vlan your 192.168.190.0/24 subnet is on.

Example: The Access Point is plugged into switchport 0/1 of a NetVanta 1234.

1. Create a VLAN for the 192.168.190.0 /24 network

interface vlan 100

ip address  192.168.190.2  255.255.255.0

no shutdown

1. Assign that VLAN to the switchport that the NetVanta 160/161 is connecting to.

Access Port:

interface switchport 0/1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 100

Trunk Port:

interface switchport 0/1

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan 100

At this point, the controller should be able to establish a control session with the NetVanta 160/161 Access Point. You can use TFTP from the Access Controller to upload the firmware to the Access Point using the following commands:

copy tftp dot11ap interface <number>

You will be asked for the TFTP server IP address, the firmware filename, the Access Point's IP address, subnet mask, default-gateway, and TFTP download timeout.

Upon entering this information, the upgrade process will start and you will be alerted when the upgrade is complete. At this point, you should be able to establish a normal control session to the Access Point and make configuration changes.

One of the reasons that a NetVanta 160/161 may end up in recovery mode is when the RESET button is held down for more than 4 seconds. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, this is incorrect. the RESET button should only be pressed once. It should not be held down for longer than 4 seconds unless ADTRAN Technical Support requests this.

This procedure is stated incorrectly in the Quick Start Guide that shipped out originally with the NetVanta 160/161. Adtran has since updated the Quick Start Guide and the new version will be shipped with all NetVanta 160/161s going forward. The updated Quick Start Guide can also be found at the link below:

https://supportforums.adtran.com/docs/DOC-5733

I also want to mention that the NetVanta 160 firmware has been posted to the web site under the NetVanta 160 product family.

Again, I want to apologize again for the issues you have experienced with the NetVanta 160/161. I hope you will find the above post helpful. Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Noor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

What if this process does not work?  I have uploaded the firmware to the AP from the AC via tftp and it is still in recovery mode.  I get the following messaged about the upgrade:

Sending upgrade command to AP.

AP booting to manufacturing partition. Awaiting recontact.

Downloading firmware image complete.

Validating firmware image.

Firmware image validation complete.

Writing firmware image.

Firmware image written.

AP booting new image.

Awaiting recontact.

Switch#

-Brad

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Brad,

That is interesting. Is your TFTP server able to ping the IP address of the NetVanta 160 Access Point? If not, you will need to ensure that the TFTP server is able to reach the IP address of the access point. If you are able to reach the Access Point from the TFTP server, I would recommend contacting Adtran Technical Support to further troubleshoot why the process did not work for you. It sounds like you already have a ticket open with Adtran regarding this issue, but if not, you can contact them in the following ways:

1. By Phone: 888-4ADTRAN

2. By Email: support@adtran.com

3. By Web: https://www.adtran.com/openacase

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Noor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I just wanted to let everyone know that the guide on how to upload firmware to the NetVanta 160/161 has been added to the Support Forum. This document can be found at the link below:

Please do not hesitate to let us know if anyone has any questions.

Thanks,

Noor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I also wanted to add to this post for customers who may read this for help in the future:

1.  We have now posted Firmware to the Adtran website for the NetVanta 160 and you navigate to that here.

2.  The console port on the NetVanta 160 is actually not proprietary.  You can use a DB9 to RJ45 Rollover cable to access this.   It uses 115200 as the speed with the other connection values set as default.

Thanks,

Evan

ctltech
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

I know this is an older thread, but I figured I'd post this information here. I was having some issues with the AP, so I downloaded the latest firmware from the web site. According to the web site the latest version is 6.5.5-18 and when download the file is NV160_1840-44-1_6.5.5.18.img, but when I do a "show dot11 access-point detail" command I get a reply showing the firmware is NV160:1840-44-1:6.5.5.1017.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Marc,

If you take a look at the release notes files with it, this is actually just a visual error. Before release we rename internal builds that become general release builds to a more readable software version number. Unfortunately there was an error in the build that caused it to show up in this manner. We decided to release with that error so we could get the firmware out faster.

Thanks,

Evan

ctltech
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info about the build number. The update did not fix my problem. I will start a new topic so I don't hijack this thread.