cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tommygator
New Contributor II

Adding second switch 1238 POE 1703599 Gen3

Jump to solution

I have existing 1238 POE installed (Switch1) and wanted to daisy chain a new 1238 (Switch2)  by connecting Gig ports.  I connected my gig port on switch 1 to gig port on switch2 with Cat6.    My new 1238P has IP routing enabled and I set a default gateway of the IP address of my Adtran Netvanta Router1 -   the next hop in the route table shows that Router1 IP.   When I connected Switch2, it disrupted communication on all the devices connected to the Switch1.

Does IP routing on Switch2 need to be disabled in this scenario?  What could be causing the network disruption?

The new switch is 1703599 Gen3, firmware version 11.4.4.   The original switch is a 1702599 gen2 with firmware 10.5.1

There is no Data tab on firmware version 10.5.1 to set IP routing options

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kvnkoeppen
New Contributor II

Re: Adding second switch 1238 POE 1703599 Gen3

Jump to solution

Create a trunk on each of the switches and then patch the two switches together using the trunk ports you just created.  Disable the IP routing on the second switch as well as the first switch unless the switch is actually performing routing functions.  The GIG ports are GIG 0/x and are not part of the count of the eth 0/x ports.  You should be able to download the most current version of firmware from the Adtran website to update the firmware in the original switch.  Verify that the IP addresses of each of the switches are unique and not default to each other.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
tommygator
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Does anyone know the proper way to connect the two switches together without a stacking cable?  I wanted to simply add the new switch by connecting to the gigabit port on the original switch.   Can I use port 47 and 48 when using the Gig ports?

kvnkoeppen
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Create a trunk on each of the switches and then patch the two switches together using the trunk ports you just created.  Disable the IP routing on the second switch as well as the first switch unless the switch is actually performing routing functions.  The GIG ports are GIG 0/x and are not part of the count of the eth 0/x ports.  You should be able to download the most current version of firmware from the Adtran website to update the firmware in the original switch.  Verify that the IP addresses of each of the switches are unique and not default to each other.

tommygator
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Thanks.  Worked perfectly.